Migrate from Entourage to Mail

Brian1237

Registered
I need simple directions for changing from Entourage 10 Mac to Apple Mail (v. 4.5). I tried "Import Mailboxes" from Mail, and although it seems to have imported the mailboxes, most, but not all of them, are completely empty (there are no messages in them).

I've discovered that if I export mailboxes from Entourage and then import the file to Mail, or if I import them into Mail one mailbox at a time, the messages do all seem to transfer, but they are all marked "Unread."

I want to transfer all my messages (stored locally on my Mac), folders (mailboxes), & contacts from Entourage to Mail. I do not need instructions for setting up the Mail once everything is transfered.

Isn't there some very simple way to do this?

Isn't there some very simple way to do this?

No, there is no "very simple" "snap your fingers and it will be done" method to migrating several different types of information stored in Entourage to Apple Mail without fail and without error.

To migrate contacts, simply export your Entourage contacts as VCards (you can highlight them and drag-and-drop them to your Desktop or a folder somewhere), then you can drag-and-drop these VCards into Apple's Address Book application.

It seems that you have found a working method for getting mail and folders from Entourage to Mail.app, but the "unread" issue you mention may just be something that you have to deal with. If the standard "Import Mailboxes" action doesn't work completely with Mail.app, then perhaps you should use the method you mention that works, then simply highlight all messages, right-click them, and select "Mark as read."

Let us know if that gets you moving forward.

Back