Migrating iTunes from Windows to Mac

supanatral

Registered
Hey guys! Even though I have a mac, I still own a windows fileserver. What its main purpose is, is for sharing my iTunes database to our AppleTV. The reason why I care about moving this over is because I have over 200 movies on my itunes database and about 1000 TV show episodes which are a pain to go through the settings of the files and switch it to a TV Show.

The next thing I should tell you guys about is that the files are actually stored on a network attached storage because you can probably assume just how large this library is.

This is a tuff one. Right now, do you have iTunes copy everything to that folder when you add things to your library, and have iTunes keep it organised for you? If that is the case, then this will be easy.

This is actually also what I needed to do. I believe I did a "Export Library" in Win-iTunes, then opened the xml and replaced the <location> with the new path:

<key>Location</key><string>file://localhost/Volumes/music/...

instead of

<key>Location</key><string>file://localhost/Users/

Search and replace and then re-import within Mac iTunes. Worked for me except that the shows lost the info that they were a show (I believe, only the category, not the meta data?).

For this bulk change I used this one I believe:
http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/scripts01.php?page=1#setvideokindofselected

Hope this helps!

Can you see and connect to your your Windows File Server from your Mac? I've use Windows Workgroup to share files as well as used Windows domain (Windows 2000 Server) but I haven't tried to network between Mac and Windows. Am hoping to learn about that from this forum, but I can see that still leaves you the problem of reading NTFS files from a Mac.

I recently came across Paragon Software's NTFS for Mac® OS X. http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/. It's a $40 software that let Mac OS X read NTFS files. I read about combination of freeware or shareware but people's experiences with them seems to be mixed. I had problem installation all the necessary free software to get it to work, so I think $40 is worth the investment you made in your movie and music collection.

Yup! you can connect to your windows file server. you can read and write (as long as you have permissions setup on the share) to a windows file server on your network. The only time you need that software is if you pulled out your hard drive and plugged it directly into your mac. Also, even if you do that, you can read the NTFS partition but you can't write to it, that software you mentioned allows you to write to it.

To connect to a windows file server, go to finder, then at the top of your screen click go then hit connect to server. from there a box will come up and you type in there smb://192.168.x.x (or whatever your ip address is on your windows server). Hope that helps.

Back