Migrating Settings From Another Computer

charles1

Registered
My old computer was running the latest OS X (10.4.2). The new one is Mini which has 10.3 installed. Are there specific files the Mini has to have that I have on the disks it came with (which I have)? After I get this sorted out I need to move the OS up to the latest version (do I use the newer Tiger DVD and upgrade the old one with it?) THEN move my settings and programs over from the old computer so I don't have to install about 30 new programs then set them up. That could take many hours.

I am not sure from your post whether you have two copies of Tiger or not but installing the same copy of Tiger on two macs is a violation of Apple's Software License Agreement and is legally considered to be software piracy.

Assuming you do have two legal copies of the Tiger install DVD the easiest way to do what you are proposing is to
  1. Boot your MiniMac from the Tiger install DVD and install Tiger.
  2. Run all the upgrades to get your Mini up to OS X 10.4.2
  3. Repair permissions
  4. In /Applications/Utilities launch Migration Assistant and carefully follow the Migration Assistant instructions for migrating files from another computer. You will need a six pin to six pin firewire cable.

Back