Migration Assistant - Stalled

Michah923

Registered
I am using migration assistant to move data from my old macbook to my new macbook pro. It starts out ok but at the 59 minutes left mark, it stops. i have restarted it several times, run diagnostics and repaired permissions and the hard drive checked out ok. What can I do?

First thing if you hve the macbook connected via target disk mode is on the macbook pro go to applications/utilities/disk utility and try to repair the macbook disk. If if won't repair, you may need to get a more potent directory structure repair tool like DiskWarrior.

If repairing the directory structure on the macbook is successful, but still won't transfer, try creating a dummy user that's named differently from any user you are transferring in. Then run software updates to get it up to date. Then go to applications/utilities/migration assistant and then you will have the option of transferring individual folders (users, applications, etc). First just migrate over applications and if all goes well you will know its not hanging there. Next, if there is more than one user, I would migrate over each user individually to see if it is getting stuck on a certain user. Then with 10.6, I believe an option has been added to migration assistant to migrate over user folders seperately. I would move the problematic user over folder by folder until it either hangs or transfers over to really narrow down where the hangup is. From personal experience of doing several hundred migrations for customers, I find that it is usually a corruption in the music or pictures folder that halts migration assistant, if its not a corrupt directory structure.

Back