migration assistant ?

legomac

Registered
I'm by no means a mac expert. I have a 933MHz, ibook, 10.3.9. I recently bought a mac mini - 1.5GHz, 10.4.2, to use as a family machine. My 9 year old is crazy about the world book atlas on my ibook & I promised to transfer it onto the mini. I've tried this via migration assistant & via firewire target disk but in both cases the programme shows up as an app but won't launch - I don't have an internet connection on the mini yet - looking to go broadband, so no dial up modem on mini. Anyone help?

I assume you don't have the install CD for World Book? Was it bundled with the iBook software ?

Hi Powermac, Yes it was bundled with the panther s/ware - I have about six or seven cd's for panther, plus the world book disk. Tried running the world book disk on the mini but couldn't see an installer on the world book disk.

I was in a similar situation, a bundled WorldBook preinstalled. I believe the separate WorldBook disk is actually disk #2 a disk containing just data CONTENT & media files not an installer and not the application.

Don't take this as an exact quote for procedure but from my somewhat hazy memory:

I used FileBuddy but FIND FILE might work if you look for invisible files.

Look through your RESTORE disks (I think its on disk 2 or RESTORE1 but not sure) using these utilities for an invisible file called WorldBook.dmg. You may have to use those utilities to make this file visible to copy it off or make a visible copy of the file for future use.

Inside this dmg image are two files, one an application and the other LIBRARY. There is no installer (only in a retail package of WorldBook). Place the application in your application folder or location of your choice. In the LIBRARY file are several files in labeled folders specifying where those components should go. Placing all these files/components where they belong will allow the WorldBook application to run correctly.

It has been a long time since I've done this but it does work.
Hope this helps.

G'Day

Back