Migration Assistant

interfx

Registered
I am in the process of transferring my files from my iMacG5 to my new MBP, and had a question about Migration Assistant...

I am running Migration Assistant now that I have my MBP alreadysetup with a user. However my user name on my iMac was a different user name...

How do I combine these 2 users into a single user? Is it as simple as dragging the files from one user to another?

Thanks in advance.

Update...

I now have 2 users accounts on my new MBP, and do not have the rights to copy over the files to my new user account??? When I go to Accounts it dopesn't let me have access to the transferred account.

I did the migration assistant, and it seems to have worked fine. However, when I start up the computer it does not ask me for which user to start???

Any ideas? Sorry if this is a stupid question, still a Mac newbie...

The Accounts system preference allows you to choose whether an automatic login of one user happens at startup. Turn that off, so it lets you login into both accounts. Every user has a folder called "Public". Put the stuff of one user into that folder and you can get it from there logged into the other user account. Of course this requires enough disk space to have things double for a short while (or you'll have to do it in several batches). It'd be easier to do with an external harddrive. Backup one user to the external drive, delete the user and get the stuff from the remaining user.

OK, I was able to get that instructions done.

One last question, do I have to do anything special with my iTunes library on my new Mac?

I want to make sure my new MBP has the full iTunes library on it - and have no issue with the new computer playing songs I bought on iTunes on my old Mac...

Thanks...

Back