Mini combo drive problems

GollumsLunch

Registered
I recently purchased a mac mini, and for the most part it has been great. However, I seem to be having some problems with the combo-drive. At first, it seemed to be working properly and I had no trouble installing several programs from CD. I did have trouble installing Adobe Acrobat, the combo drived seemed to be having trouble reading the CD, but I eventually got it to work.

However, yesterday I was listening to music while working and importing Cds into iTunes. The first 4 worked without a problem, but on the 5th the mini ejected the CD immediately after it was inserted. I went back and tried the CDs that had worked previously, and those were rejected as well.

If the drive gets too hot will it automatically reject media? It was 95 here yesterday, and we don't have air conditioning so the drive may have been too hot.

It seems like I may need to contact Apple directly and get the drive replaced. I was curious if the combo drives are known to be flaky on the minis (searches in this forum recieved no hits).

Any insight is appreciated.

Back