Mini IPod Prices

huck

Registered
I am a bit disappointed. I feel the Mini IPods price doesn't make sense...A 4GB HD that holds 1000 songs @ $249 US dollars. For an extra $50 dollars you can get a 10GB HD that holds 10,000 songs.

I think the Mini IPod is not going to be a great success. Sorry Apple, not behind you on this one.

peace.

I thought so too, at first, but that's because we are underestimating the power of style. I know three women that bought original iMacs for one reason and one reason only...they liked the cool colors.

In fact, I had planned on buying my wife an iPod this year and I'll probably get a mini for that exact reason. She'll love it and she doesn't need the extra space. I've got a 40 GB, but I use it for moving files to and fro work and home, so it makes sense.

Some people will definitely pay for a slightly smaller, stylish iPod at that price. If you don't need 15 GB, you don't need 15 GB. I won't be surprised at all to these sell well.

To buy a 15GB iPod you're spending $100 more than you we're going to on your flash player... This is what they are aiming for, they are trying to make you go for an iPod rather than these flash players!

I think they are cool, and I will be getting my other half a pink one for her birthday... But whether they are going to be smash hit I'm not so sure, time will tell.

check your math.
if 4GB = 1000 songs...
10GB = (hint: not 10,000).
anyway, giaguara is right. it's 15GB. and you're right-- i don't see them selling way too much of these. if he really wanted to break into the flash mp3 player market, he'd offer a 1GB or 2GB for $100.

Why is everyone using my avatar?
Have had it for3 years

And yes the iPod mini is much to expensive.

If the Mini iPod (4GB) was $150 - $175, then Apple would have a killer product, but not at $250. For $50 more, you get the *REAL* iPod. And one more thing, take a CLOSE look at Apple's comparison with the iPods' (regular and mini) screens. The Mini iPod does NOT have the same resolution screen as the regular iPod; it isn't just smaller, there are less pixels too. Gosh, I hate when things are list $1 below a whole $10 increment. Don't the marketing people know that psychological effect doesn't work any more? I'll keep saving my money and buy an iPod some day, or maybe just go to Best Buy and purchase one of the Rio players; there's quite a selection for under $200, AND some support FireWire. All I need it to purchase that FM Transmitter for the iPod (inserts into the iPod's mini stereo plug) I see in ClubMac/MacMall, and I can listen to my MP3s in the car.

Apple, you really missed the price point on this one. It seems that the mini hard drives in the iPod units are not necessarily an issue, but the cost of the electronics is too. I like the fact that the whole body of the Mini iPods are made of Aluminum, kinda instills quality/longevity into the product, but not for $250. I'll keep searching for a low-cost MP3 player, after all, it only *HAS* to work.

I had been entangled at work all day long.
I came home and visited apple's site. Even though I have no need to have a portable music player, if I did I would just go for the regular iPod. the mini seems a bit too expensive. The price is just not competitive.

Granted, the minis come with a remote, dock, and carrying case, whereas the 15GBs don't, but still... It would have been nice to enter the mid-range market, unfortunately this is still priced/designed for the upper-end, and only a very small part of the upper-end of the market...

Interesting, from http://www.daringfireball.net/ :
The whole point of the iPod Mini isn’t that it’s cheaper. It’s that it’s smaller. The initial consensus seems to be that it’s too expensive — but that was also the initial consensus for the original iPod.
I still gotta agree with y'all though: it simply doesn't make sense to buy one. Unless you really, really want a slightly smaller iPod. But who really needs something smaller than the 15 GB? I hope I'm wrong, but I smell a flop.

Giaguara was right. Apple will drop the price no matter what within the next few weeks. They're just seeing what they can get away with for now. ;)

But phatcactus's post was also correct, we're forgetting the actual size of the iPod. The mini iPods are extremely small, but still quite powerful. I don't know how I feel about that...somebody will have to buy me one so I can tell you all. :)

But haven't Rio just released a 4GB player for $249 too? I agree it could be cheaper but it seems that it's competitive given that it's very small and not any more expensive than the Rio.

the mini's dont come with a dock... do they... I dont think so.
they can get one... but its not packaged.. *or I might be wrong*

Yep, the dock is optional... that means its more =)

Maybe Apple priced them at $250 for a reason: if you're going for a player, you might as well go the next level up and get the full iPod.

I still say they should have models between 1 GB and 4 GB (and maybe even .5 GB) and price them between $100-200. That would sell a lot of Minis.

Arden said:
Maybe Apple priced them at $250 for a reason: if you're going for a player, you might as well go the next level up and get the full iPod.

I still say they should have models between 1 GB and 4 GB (and maybe even .5 GB) and price them between $100-200. That would sell a lot of Minis.

I think the price is the stupidest thing I've ever seen. For an extra little bit you can more than triple your storage...I mean, why wouldn't you? It's like pricing a Dual G5 2GHz at $1000 and a G3 600MHz at $950...which would you choose?

I was excited about the idea of a 'mini iPod', but not at that price. $100-150 yes. $250....hell no.

the iPods will get cheaper.. but for now they are a bit expensive.. id give the extra 50 dollars and get a 15 gb..

but ur just missing the point.. the 4gb ipos have a different hard disk in the. thats one of the reasons that makes them expensive...
and thats one of the reasons thats makes them attractive... theyre just SOOO small and light... probably lighter than most mobile phones around... and were talkin about a 4gb mp3 player :)...

Back