minimising space

andygodwin

Registered
hi all
up and running with panther on powerbook, but because i only have the 6gig drive , space is v important, but i dont know my way around the new system folder.
have installed panther essentials only, turned off all languages, all printer helpers, all extras.. and didnt load IE etc.. but the OS still uses up 2 gigs (only 3.75 free)

can anyone lead me to the parts that are deletable, i knew what these were for os9 but lost here..

TIA andy

While what jbarley states about 'DeLocalizer' is true, a basic - minimum MacOS X 10.3.x or 10.4.x installation is around 4 to 5 GB.

Another long term solution option for you, is to install a larger internal 2.5" 5400 rpm hard disk drive, hdd. If you do, consider anything other than Hitachi and Maxtor hdds; otherwise, you have been forewarned.

I think it would be hard to scrape much more off the system than that, however:
- Don't install OS 9 Classic. If you have, get rid of it.
- Get rid of iMovie, iDVD and iPhoto. You obviously don't have the free space to actually use any of these. Also delete GarageBand if you have it, as well as all of its loops from /Library/Application Support/GarageBand (about 2gb). Also wipe out /Library/Application Support/iDVD folder (about 200mb).

thanks, didnt have any of those because did a mininum install.. usefull stuff though..
BTW in that folder/Library/Application Support/.. whats mindvision??

Back