Minimize in place?

senne

Registered
where's the minimize in place -option of Jaguar?? Everywhere i saw the rumors and even screenshots/movies of that option... Do i look not far enough or isn't there a minimize in place option? Tell me! :confused:

senne.

It is not supported in Jaguar, although there is a hack that you could use that basically replaces the GM dock, with one from build 6C48.

Do a search on this forum, and you should turn up the links.

Look for "Window Shade" on version tracker for a minimize in place option. I am not sure if it is supported in Jaguar. It should be worth checking out if you haven't alredy.

Originally posted by hazmat
Here it is: http://www.mcgavern.com/mip.html . I did it and it's great. I hope Apple puts it back in with more functionality, like an option to pin them to one edge of the screen.

Have fun....

Hmm, i hope my system won't get messed again caused by those things....... It happened before Ah well..

senne.

Just installed the 'new' old dock - I love the minimise in place feature! Very useful. I don't understand why Apple axed it in GM. I'm sure it'll make itself back to later builds though.

Hmm, it doesn't work... I did everything, i gave the privileges, i'm the admin. But it still says that i don't have the privileges, pfff...

s en n e.

you can enable the root user in the terminal:
Code:
% sudo passwd root

Then just enter your root password twice as it asks you.

Now whenever you want to execute something as root, you can type the word "sudo" before you type a command in the terminal. It will prompt you for the password, and you just give the password you assigned to root.

I know there are other ways to do this, but this works for me.

I have windowshade. I haven't seen minimize it place but it sounds better looking.

I can confirm that window shade works in jag. Personally, I tend to hide in the doc all the time but that's just my style of use.

Vanguard

Originally posted by vanguard
I have windowshade. I haven't seen minimize it place but it sounds better looking.

I can confirm that window shade works in jag. Personally, I tend to hide in the doc all the time but that's just my style of use.

Yeah, I've been a happy WindowShade X user for a long time now. Until Minimize in Place, I would just make the minimize button hide the app. Fine, since I had control from the app's Dock context menu, but I didn't like not having individual control over windows within an app. Minimize in Place gave that back to me. Why Apple took it out, I have no clue.

Originally posted by mmilano
in your brain.. just make one up.. and REMEMBER IT!

And how do i create a ROOTpassword??? I really don't get anything of the "internal" os x.... :(

senne.

just type in the terminal what i posted first: sudo passwd root

here is my advice. if you don't have very important stuff on your computer, then keep try it out and have fun experimenting with this stuff. afterall, that is how you learn. you can always re-install os x.

but, .. if you have important stuff, and you don't back it up, .. then i would recommend not trying this stuff. messing around with root authorization can really get you into trouble if you type the wrong thing.

have fun =)

Originally posted by mmilano
just type in the terminal what i posted first: sudo passwd root

here is my advice. if you don't have very important stuff on your computer, then keep try it out and have fun experimenting with this stuff. afterall, that is how you learn. you can always re-install os x.

but, .. if you have important stuff, and you don't back it up, .. then i would recommend not trying this stuff. messing around with root authorization can really get you into trouble if you type the wrong thing.

have fun =)

I reinstalled my os x 2 times already! :D

senne.

Back