Minneapolis to get second Apple store!

twister

Howdy
Minneapolis has one Apple store, in the suburb of Bloomington, at the Mall of America. Now a second store, in the suburb of Edina, is coming to the Southdale Mall in 2002. What confuses me is these two stores are not that far apart. Maybe 20 minutes. I don't know why we are getting or need two but Whoo Hoo. Maybe I can get a free t-shirt at the grand opening!

Twister

I was told by and apple person once that it has to do with how many people register their Mac stuff in an area. The more mac registered users the better the chance of a store.

Twister

Um... there are 3 near me, one in Northridge, another in Glendale and one more in Pasadena - 20 mile radius from me. :D

I've only been to the one in Glendale - once I recover from surgery and can drive again, I have to pay the other two a visit. :)

all of ya'll suck. the closest one to me is 6 hours away in Plano, north of Dallas. How bout you guys buy some apple stuff and say your in central texas? :D Then maybe one will come in near me. DELL had one of their main plants here and a monopoly on the market...:mad:

OK. We need to put this stupidity of two stores in Minneapolis in perspective.

Yes, it's nice to have two, BUT they are within 5 miles of each other. HOW STUPID IS THAT! The only reason that Apple placed the stores in this general area is because it is "more affluent" than others. Tell me the reason why they would have otherwise. If they are looking for malls to go to, there are many very nice ones in the Twin Cities. Apple! Use your stupid brain and reach different geographics. You will still make you money.

10 miles or so ;)

Course it is Edina. They supposedly have lots o money. I mean that mall will have an Apple store and a CPK. WOW :eek:

Twister :D

Why not North? Why not Maple Grove? Plymouth has money? LOTS! But, I guess not more than the Southwest Subs.

I wonder how many people will buy an iBook because it matches their outfit?

They can put a store in my yard in North Minneapolis! I've got a double lot! Really!!! It'll be cool!

Originally posted by Greystroke
all of ya'll suck. the closest one to me is 6 hours away in Plano, north of Dallas. How bout you guys buy some apple stuff and say your in central texas? :D Then maybe one will come in near me. DELL had one of their main plants here and a monopoly on the market...:mad:

there's an Apple in Houston now, fyi.
well, that and an HP ^_^.

MDLarson, We need to have that done. How perdect is that! Downtown design firms would have ALOT of fun!

If they put the store in North Minneapolis it'd be held up every other day :) I'm quite glad it's not in Maple Grove, that would be way to tempting. It's bad enough Best Buy is 5 minutes from my house :)

Brian

The new Apple Store in Edina will do just fine. I used to work at a furniture store in the area. The mall there gets a TON of traffic, and there is a great deal of disposable income walking in the doors every day. Yes, I agree that it is very close to the Mall of America, but you gotta go where the money is.

I am sorry. I guess Apple is right. We bumpkins up in them northern 'burbs just don't have the cash to buy somethin' that wer fancy! Maybe, everythin' in the outstate is just too redneck them folk.

For those who don't understand: Everything outside the Twin Cities is considered out-state like they are the only thing that matter in Minnesota. What do you expect: they elected a wrestler for governor.
I am fine with them making money BUT don't blatantly obvious about it. I am surprised Apple didn't get together with Gap to design a laptop to match their clothes. SW Burbs would have LUUUUUUUUVed that!

It depends on what you want from Apple. If you want them to continue to develop their retail strategy into a profitable, self-sustaining business, then expect them to put stores in places where they can hope to sell the most product and to get the most exposure. If they succeed in growing their marketshare, you may just see an Apple Store in some of the northern suburbs, maybe Roseville. The area surrounding Rosedale is an excellent retail environment. Who knows? In truth, Minneapolis isn't that large geographically. Unless you live outside the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, including the outlying suburbs, everything is relatively close. Apple is taking care of the bottom line, which is ultimately good for all Mac users.

I think it has more to do with the specialty store concentration in MOA and the Southdale/Galleria area in Edina then the concentration of "wealth". If they were going for pure wealth areas, they'd open up a store across from the Minnetonka Boatworks :) Or stick it downtown on Nicollet. Alot of the Apple stores around the country tend to be in higher end malls with large numbers of specialty shops. In MN thats MOA, and soon Southdale with all the renovations they are doing. The rest of the 'dales really don't have the high end draw that the other malls do. Besides, if you're just looking to buy a mac, wouldn't you be ordering it online anyways? :)

Brian

Back