mirroring hard drives: help please

davidjourdan

Registered
Hi.
Okay, so I'm running out of space (6G left of 30G) in my DA... I have another drive in there too (60G), but it's only for my film footage. I would like to buy a 120G internal drive to replace my 30G startup disk, which is mostly crowded by demanding editing software and such... (besides, my 30G is 2 years old... time to go before it crashes on me...)
what I would like to avoid at all costs, though, is to re-install everything on the new drive. So, I would like to know if anyone out there knows if you can just dump the contents of my 30G onto the 120G, mirroring the two drives, so to speak, so that I don't have to install anything. Is there a way with Disk Utility, or any other software out there? Are there risks? I'd like to find out everything I can, so if anyone has done it, please inform me. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Cheers,
D.

If your running OS X, use Copy Cloner to move everything to the bigger drive.

If you have the room, install the new drive as slave. Use Copy Cloner. Then if you want the bigger drive to be master, you'll have to open the case, change the pins from slave to master and make sure you change the old master to slave.

that is if that's what your intention is.

This may be a stupid question but why would it be necessary to use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy all the files from the main drive instead of just dragging the files over to copy them?

Because there are thousands of invisible files in OS X, and by dragging, you won't be able to copy over all files.

Back