Misbehaving iBook - ignores mouse and won't sleep. AGAIN. ;-(

gulliver

Registered
Having posted previously and read many threads I've not found a solution so I'm back here again with an update...

I've a misbehaving iBook (clamshell G3/SE - now running 10.3.8).
Was fine until a few weeks ago when updated from 10.3.6 to 10.3.7 and added new RAM.

Within a few hours of use the (Apple USB) mouse stops working and the machine refuses to sleep - and when invoked manually it dims screen/spins down drive then immediately wakes. Also unexpected crashes with Firefox and kernel panics on restart.

The mouse works fine on other machines and other mice also won't work on the iBook so I don't think the mouse is faulty - and it shouldn't be the cause of the sleep issue.

After a reboot the machine is fine for a few hours.

I've used Onyx to repair permissions, clear caches and manually run the regular maintenance scripts... repaired preferences with Preferential Treatment... run Disk Warrior. Also zapped PRAM. And reset the PMU.

None work and the problem soon returns.

Archive-and-install 10.3.7 failed to provide a solution - and generated an 'there were errors during installation' message.

I removed the new RAM then did another archive-and-install 10.3.7. Firefox crash and kernel panics problem seems solved. Mouse and sleep problem no better - so reinstalled the extra RAM.

Thinking perhaps that 'the RAM could have been bad and 'somehow fritzed something that wasn't cleared by archive-and-install' I today wiped the drive and reinstalled 10.3.4 then ran 10.3.8 combo update. Mouse and sleep problem has returned.

Previously I'd tried to fix the sleep issue by switching-off Airport and File Sharing. No difference. Activity Monitor showed a buch of stuff still running and the machine trying to 'write out' - rate from 512b to 25kb.

I haven't yet gotten into the Onyx/Disk Warrior/Activity Monitor cycle since this lastest re-install and am wondering if I should start again and do more stuff before reinstall.
My thinking is:
Wipe Drive
Zap PRAM
Reset PMU
Install 10.3.4 then 10.3.8 combo update

Am I just being dumb - and is there other stuff I can do?

Try reseting the Open Firmware;
Reboot your computer while holding down command-option-o-f. At the prompt, type
reset-nvram and hit the Return key, then type
reset-all and hit the Return key again. Your computer will reboot.

Does the Trackpad work normally?
Have you set the Mouse PreferencePane to ignore the Trackpad?

Do you have the Apple Hardware test CD you can run?

The problem occurred when you updated to 10.3.6 and added ram.

Try wiping the drive and just going to 10.3.6 without the new ram and see if the problem is still there.

Thanks, Bob.

I did the OF stuff immediately after I sent my earlier post - it's now worse! ... won't boot past gray apple screen.

I don't have the Apple Hardware test CD here.

Having booted target and run Disk Warrior from another machine I'm now archiving and installing 10.3.4 and then I'll run 10.3.8 combo update.

The trackpad has always been fine.
perhaps my post wasn't clear - the most recent system is a fresh install of 10.3.4->10.3.8combo and was done after a wipe and the machine is minus the RAM.

You said it was fine when you were running 10.3.6 and before adding the ram. I would go to 10.3.6 from 10.3.4 and see if it works, before going to 10.3.7 or 10.3.8.

Thanks - I'd also considered that... and ruled it out as the problem happens on .6/7/8 and it doesn't seem sane to run with a less than current OS - particularly as Software Update will try to install them on routine updates.

Well, you said it didn't have this problem in 10.3.6. Just trying to help narrow the problem.

Software Update won't install anything unless you allow it to.

>Well, you said it didn't have this problem in 10.3.6. Just trying to help narrow the problem.

Fair enough. And, if I can't resolve it - I may revert... though it's at odds with the next point.

>Software Update won't install anything unless you allow it to.

Agreed. And it seems counter productive to cripple an OS because of a machine-specific fault. Better to fix the problem. Particularly in view of the security updates and routine improvements.

Well, you need to get to the root of the problem, that's why I suggested wiping the drive and only going to 10.3.6, without the added ram. If the problem, then occurs, you may have a hardware problem, logic board.

I'm suspecting hardware - though don't see how. The problem usually arises within a couple hours of activity and is always cured (for a couple hours) by an immediate restart. The restart suggests it's not a heat-related issue and as the machine isn't physically moved whilst restarting also suggests it's not a poor connection issue.

There are no odd combos of programs running, and I haven't read of a world-full of similar problems from 10.3 updates so I suspect it's something specific to this machine.

;-)

Back