Missing Commands

Elvaen

Registered
I seem to be missing a bunch of command line programs, including reboot and shutdown.

I've been tinkering around with things but I didn't delete them as far as I know.

One thing I did do without realizing what I did until after is I deleted the file System in the CoreServices folder. I was trying to delete the classic copy of the same file that I believe was put in there on accident... long story.

Suffice it to say I'm missing some command line programs.

How do I get them back?

Any ideas?

-Elvaen

It may be that I'm just confusing myself.

the root account still has access to those commands, perhaps it's just that those commands aren't available to all other accounts, including the admin account.

If so then I feel quite foolish ;)

-Elvaean

update: sudo shutdown and sudo reboot still give the error of command not found. That can't be right.

Originally posted by Elvaen
It may be that I'm just confusing myself.

the root account still has access to those commands, perhaps it's just that those commands aren't available to all other accounts, including the admin account.

If so then I feel quite foolish ;)

-Elvaean

update: sudo shutdown and sudo reboot still give the error of command not found. That can't be right.

Certain commands typically only invoked by root (like reboot and shutdown, for example) are
probably not in your shell's default path. They are likely located in either /sbin or /usr/sbin.
You'll need to explicitly path to them if you want to invoke them using sudo, like so:

sudo /sbin/shutdown

instead of

sudo shutdown (which won't work)

I created a test admin account to see if that was the case... the test admin account I created was able to issue those commands without a problem.

(chown, btw was also missing from my main account)

I finally deleted my main admin account and created a new one. Took awhile to reset all the prefs but the commands are now working again.

It'd be nice to know how to fix that problem without having to recreate an account... I don't know if I accidently changed some setting or if it was a system error of some kind...

-Elvaen

Back