Missing Features in 10.1...

Originally posted by theed
As for spin down, yeah, like fluorescent lights, turning them on and then off is electrically equivalent to leaving them on for ~7 minutes.
This also means that if you plan on walking away from the lighted room for more that 7 minutes, you'd be better off turning those fluorescent lights off ! Same thing for HD, I guess ! :D

Man : I totally agree with myself ! Now isn't that great ??? :p

Originally posted by Pascal
Simply click-and-hold on the clock/time... ;)

Which pulls down a menu with the date, greyed out. I much prefer the previous behaviour under 10.0.x and previous MacOS.

So as to not appear totally negative, here's some things I really do like:

+ The speed
+ The volume and monitor brightness "overlays". Beautiful.
+ DVD playback
+ CD burning
+ Custom HD icons
+ Scale effect for Dock
+ SMB/NFS networking support
+ Applescript
+ Finder improvments
+ Airport Admin Utility

Things I don't like:

- Dock Extras have been deleted
- Menu Bar Clock behaviour
- No random desktop background
- No seperate sleep settings for battery/ac
- Image Capture no longer recognises my Fuji 6800Z
- Still can't link text to a URL in Mail
- No keyboard shortcut for Window->Bring All to Front

Mail app still sucks...

Try Netscape 6.1

I haven't been a big fan of NS for quite a while, but it seems to have the most comprehensive mail app out there for OS X at present....

Originally posted by free&unmuzzled
Which pulls down a menu with the date, greyed out. I much prefer the previous behaviour under 10.0.x and previous MacOS.
While I whole heartedly agree with most of your pro and con list, I fail to see the problem with the fact that the date is a greyed out menu... Isn't it how a non selectable menu item should look like ???

it's a little hard to read. While corret and consistent from a user interface point of view that it tells you it's not selectable, and if it were selectable - what would that mean? It's something you want to be able to read quickly and completely. The exact opposite of what its coloring does now.

I would also argue that any one who doesn't think it's a little harder to read than it should be probably has their monitor settings way too bright. I work in a properly color compensated environment at ~7000K. It's easy on the eyes, generally nice, and greyed out items fade nicely into the background.

I'd like click to change the menu item to the date like it used to, and keep it like that for 5 seconds, even if it does bring down a menu. the options in there are super seldom used. We could deal with there being only the option to open the control panel. How often do you change your preference between analog and digital... really? And then there could be a graphical calendar thingy with a notch in the corner for opening the control panel, maybe it could offer a tear away option a la X server 99?

It only rubs me the wrong way because they seem to have decreased usability, increased clutter, and not actually added anything useful. If I knew how I'd begin coding a replacement right now. I'm walking through the vermont recipes as we "speak." I'm whining about this, I know, it's far from being a show stopper. But if you think that the clock is currently great, then you don't know the difference between good and great. I've seldom been one to be content with mediocrity. That's why I use what I use. :)

Oh, and the fact that the control panel doesn't even open when I select it from the menu ... wtf? the only item in the menu worth a damn ... isn't.

I agree, read my post "so is 5G64 GM?".

I don't like the new clock! I hate it!

Oh, by the way... when I select the systemprefs in the menu, it works just fine for me...Sorry your having trouble.

Originally posted by theed
Oh, and the fact that the control panel doesn't even open when I select it from the menu ... wtf? the only item in the menu worth a damn ... isn't.
It didn't work here either, until I first opened the preference panel that is. Since then, the shortcut works (even after a restart).

So my install isn't right in a number of tiny little ways. This was the general fear I had anyway, that because I have a tendency to mess with things that Apple doesn't expect me to mess with that I might get stuck doing a clean install ... grrr.

Well, I guess I'll start copying over my user stuff to a new location. Boy, you should have seen the hosing I gave X Server1.0 when I tried to move it to 1.2 ... unbootable machine. Yeah. That was a bad install day. I keep a virtual duplicate of the machine and on that one everything went so smooth, I had no idea... some days I'm just technologically challenged. Maybe it's my processors fighting each other? ;-)

Apparently, contrary to your argument, it does make a difference, because the iBook's battery lasts a lot less longer in Mac OS X than it does in Mac OS 9. (As I said in a previous post) And mind you, it is the same iBook with the same hardware characteristics (see below) !

Apparently, contrary to your argument, you have overlooked a very minor detail. That's that Mac OS X itself is the energy-drainer, because it uses so much more system processor power, and that's why the energy savings is a lot less. That's also why an Energy Star compliant Mac is not Energy Star compliant when running Mac OS X 10.0.4.

It is this that is causing the power drain, not your spinning the HD down only every 5 minutes. The other arguments that have been made drive the point home that setting it to 5 minutes is usually better than 1 minute.

Here's my list:

Ok, well the Clock should be a single click= date; a click and hold = menu.
Thats what it should be! Perhaps with a menu-calender if they insist on keeping a click-menu; so that its easy to read.

BOUNCING....if you haven't experienced it, just wait! (and no, im not talking about the first opening an app bounce, Im talking about a double the hight bounce that wont stop until you select that app, like an error bounce).

Menulings...
They missed one, there should be a menuling for the mail app that displays the #of messages, similar to the dock however it should work without the app open, or with the app open but not seen in the dock.
A menu should appear when clicking the Mail app menuling, that displays the separate accounts and shows who has mail. From there it would be easy to select the mail we would want to read. We could do all this from a menuling, and not another Dock-dependent app. That would be a great menuling!

Tell Apple! Please Tell Apple, Find the Feedback Page!

Oh, and my brand new firewire-cdrw no longer works in OSX. Go figure! Its like I downgraded, or sidegraded made some trade offs, at least I could use toast to burn cd's before in 10.0.4, now its not even recognized, not from the finder or toast.

Originally posted by simX
Apparently, contrary to your argument, you have overlooked a very minor detail. That's that Mac OS X itself is the energy-drainer, because it uses so much more system processor power, and that's why the energy savings is a lot less. That's also why an Energy Star compliant Mac is not Energy Star compliant when running Mac OS X 10.0.4.
You seem to forget that elements like the one I emphasized in my very first message (disk turn off time and screen dimming/shut off time) are the very thing that cause Mac OS X not to be Energy Star compliant. Why else should Mac OS X be such an energy-drainer ? Do you think Apple added a line on code in Mac OS X that reads something like
Code:
IF user moves mouse THEN (burn a lot of energy AND move cursor)
I've got the feeling it isn't so ! The real thing is that Mac OS X is not Energy Star compliant because it is not energy optimized (as of 10.0.4, at least... I have not used 10.1 enough yet to know for sure about 10.1, but I have my doubts... you still can't turn on processor cycling either.)
It is this that is causing the power drain, not your spinning the HD down only every 5 minutes. The other arguments that have been made drive the point home that setting it to 5 minutes is usually better than 1 minute.
Funny though : Apple's very own factory setting for the Energy saving Control Panel are set so that the HD should spin down after 1 minute when running the portable from the battery.

I guess your points have not been correctly driven... :D

• No file sync beween 2 folders
  • No USB Printer server
  • No labels in the Finder
  • No importing of comments from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X
So we can all be reassured : there will be a Mac OS 10.2 !!! :p

Gentlemen : to your feedback page !.. Ready ? Fire !!! :D

great! Now don't forget to read my post above...I need that stuff changed badly...and I like the menuling mail idea too.

• No labels in the Finder
  • No importing of comments from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X

Oh good god, let the labels die in peace.

It would be nice however to see the finder look for both the old style comments and the new OS X comments and put them both in the comments field of the Inspector.

1 Energ Star Compliant? Where are the stats for compliance? My computer shuts off the monitor, goes to sleep, etc just like it's supposed to when idle. Last time I checked that was Energy Star Compliant. Please enlighten me.

2 HD spin down: protected memory and pervasive VM combined with self maintenance scripts means the HD gets hit a LOT more. It's the very nature of a modern OS. I'll refrain from further detail, but expecting X to save the HD like 9 is insane, even if 1min spin down did make sense in 9.

3 processor cycling was pervasive in 9, and it was battery sweet. X does not have the same kind of support, and probably never will, even though it will improve. The hardware and OS disagree about how things should be managed. Until new hardware, don't expect processor cycling or other dynamic power options to really return. X actually does burn energy similar to the line of pseudocode you wrote.

4 Labels weren't used by enough people to justify their continued existence. If you want to uniquely identify something now you could add text to the filename, or make the owner or group something specific. There are a large number of options which can supplant labels. This OS was a return to simplicity. More is not better.

5 The bouncy deal, although obnoxious, does get your attention while letting you do other useful work. I think it could have been a bit more subtle, like the app raises its hand or something, but it's functionally correct, and works when the dock autohides.

6 mail menuling. Agreed, that'd be cool, but I'd rather a 3rd party do it. Apple is displacing too many other companies by not leaving room for improvement in its bundled apps. Somebody port e-mailer and make a menuling for it, I'd pay $60

Back