Missing fonts in Cocoa apps

ericmurphy

Registered
I recently did a clean install of Jaguar on my G4/500 SP, and noticed a weird font issue affecting Cocoa apps. It seems like certain fonts (I believe they're all PostScript fonts) aren't recognized. They're just given random names like "--font 8267--," and you can't select or use them (although if you paste text in from a Carbon app using one of these fonts, you can get them into a Cocoa app that way). The same fonts are recognized just fine in Carbon applications.

I originally thought it was a problem related to where the fonts were kept, e.g., /library/fonts/ as opposed to ~/username/library/fonts/, but that doesn't seem to be the deciding factor.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this, or have an idea what's wrong?

The same problem appeared on my MacOS 10.1.4. But I noticed it in a Carbon app first: FileMaker would refuse printing layouts with some PS fonts, although it seemed to recognize them. Then I noticed that they weren't antialiased anymore, just as if the system ignored where the outline fonts were.
Then the Cocoa font menu stopped listing them, but --font82xx-- instead.

I also tried to move and replace fonts. No effect at all.

It is very, very irritating.

I'm not sure this will help, but it can't hurt. Go to ~/Library/Caches, and delete all the files that start "com.apple.ATSServer..."

Back