Mixed Network Woes

mseydel

truculent
Based on some of the info I received on this forum, I decided to set up my home mixed network of a G4 Dual 867, Dell Inspiron, and iBook G3 800 with a NetGear Wireless Router WGR614 rather than an Airport Extreme Base Station. So far, so good...

I set up the NetGear router first with my Comcast SB5100 modem, and used the Ethernet port to make sure it would connect to my G4; everything worked fine. Then I put an Airport card in my iBook, and connected without any problems. Next step was the removing the wires from the G4; I opted for a Belkin Wireless PCI Card with Antenna using 802.11g.

So now my Macs are back on the Internet without the wires(and for under $200!), but I'm curious why I can't seem to set up a password to keep the rest of my block off my connection? The Airport Admin utility can't seem to see the NetGear router, and don't get me started about the Dell...

I'll find little sympathy on this forum, but my girlfriend is hounding me to get her Dell into the wireless mix. It seems to 'see' the network I've set up, but it keeps trying to access its dialup settings... :mad: Help!
Perhaps one you can straddle the Mac/PC networking fence to help me out...

To my knowledge, the Airport Admin Utility is only for configuring Airport basestations. Your Netgear router probably has a web interface that allows you to configure what you need for the wireless. Plug in the IP address of your router into a browser and you should see a configuration page for the Netgear router, as well as a section for the wireless access-point settings.

Yeesh. The router had auto-configured the first time when I punched in the IP address via Explorer, so I knew how to get into the config. Unfortunately, the setup for the router errored after I'd punched in the new password I'd just designated. Now nothing works! I though I could reset to the default factory settings (there's an inset for this on the back panel of the router), but it doesn't seem to help. My netowrk is now firewalled and password protected - even from me! :confused:

It seems to me that the problem your having with the dell as its always trying to dial up is an option in internet explorerdepending on what version u have will determine where the option is (MS loves to mess with people) generaly its in the tools, internet options menu. go to the conection tab and right below where the list that apears with her ISP you have 3 options, Never Dial a connection, Dial whenever a network conection is not present and always dial my defaul connection. Most likely you want to pick the second one but being that it IS WINDOWS that option generaly doesnt work so you have to pick the first never dial a conn. and make her a separate shortcut on the desktop for the dial up. if you keep having "other" problems set the whole damn thing staticaly. the less windows can screw up the better. So set the ip, gateway and dns settings static.

Good Luck

Firstly, I'd read the Manual for the WGR614. System Reset should be something like hold down the Pin-Prick button in the back for a Minute, or something.
Using the Web Interface, Configure the Wireless Network with WEP Security, and change the SSID to something descriptive, but append it with .Private, like "MSeyDelNet.Private". This way WarDrivers will see that you don't want to be accessed, and they shouldn't pester you. They still might, but they'd definitely be breaking the law.

WRT Configuring the DELL to Connect, Assuming she's running WinXP or Win2K, install Howl from Porchdog Software. This is a Rendezvous Client for Windows.
If you can provide more detailed info on the DELL, I may be able to provide a Walkthrough. Is it Win2K, is it a Laptop, does it get connected at any other location, or just at your house?

I agree with Salvo and other posts here. I have an Asante wireless 4 port ethernet hub/print server and it has a web-based interface. Once you reset the wireless transmitter you have, it should go back to factory settings (password "admin" or something similar) and you will be able to reconfigure it.

I don't know much about the PC end of this equation, but you should check out NetGear's website for any support you might need.

Not exactly helpful, I know, but it's where I'd start. :)

Back