Mixing audio tracks

jeudi33

Registered
I've recently mixed music with Audacity but it's not really the best software to handle a lot of tracks. Could anyone advice on what are the best applications? for mac of course!

Have you tried GarageBand?

There's also Ardour which is open source but it as lot more intricate in its features than Audacity. Ardour requires JackOSX although I think you can make it work with CoreAudio. I've got it running on my iMac G5 with Tiger but I need to get myself some sort of breakout box for bringing in audio.

traktor, serato, ableton

While excellent tools to consider, each of them does cost quite a bit of money. Considering that the original poster was using Audacity already, I imagine the original poster might have been looking for a similar free or inexpensive alternative, hecne the mention of GarageBand and Ardour. But still, great suggestions.

audacity is more of an audio editing /recording software though isnt it??

Yes, but there are some rudimentary mixing possibilities available. Still, this is what the original poster wanted to move away from. This was why I brought up GarageBand which is already included, or Ardour which is free software like Audacity but a little more beefy in terms of mixing features. Ardour is a digital audio workstation that allows for mixing and whatnot. Again, the suggestions you brought up are solid ones and used in the industry, but I imagine the original poster was looking for a more inexpensive solutions, be it free or commercial. At least they have demos that the original poster can test out, so yeah. :)

Last edited:
Back