Mixing diff. brand laptop RAM...

gphillipk

Registered
I've got one 4GB Kingston module (1333MHz PC3-1066) & a 4GB Patriot module (1066 MHz PC3-8500) - is it advisable to install these 2 modules in my mid-2009 MBP (MacBookPro5,3 - 1066MHz Bus speed)?

Thanks for any useful advise.

You certainly can do so since both are equal to or above the system required RAM speeds. Just verify they are of the same pin type, the notches match up, they are both ECC or both not ECC and that they take the same voltage.

Assuming the sticks meet the requirements above, It won't hurt the computer to try (as long as you don't discharge static electricity into the system while doing the install).

If you turn on the computer and you hear beeps or it fails to start or it seems unstable while running, it means the RAM doesn't play well together and you'll have to go back to what you had. I've mixed and matched RAM in Macs and PCs many times before and usually it works. When it doesn't I get the standard 3 beeps telling me there is a RAM problem.

If you do it and everything goes well, be sure to go into the system profiler and double-check that the amount it says you have is what you put in.

Back