.MKV file crashing VLC!

tadaaa

Registered
Hi,

VLC keeps crashing when I try to open a .mkv file I recently downloaded. The file is about 6.5 GB, so I thought maybe its too big for VLC to play. Does anyone know how to fix this ?

Using 1.0.5 RC version im having no problems with .mkv

Does it work with Quicktime. You might need to install the Perian codecs. These are free and allow quicktime to open almost any video type (incase you didnt already know). Google it for the download.

VLC does crash when i try to quit it after opening an .mkv with it though. Maybe VLC is just shoddy with .mkv....

Since most 6.5 GB MKV files you could've downloaded are illegal copies of movies, it could simply be a corrupted file. What you can do:

- Try a newer version of VLC.
- Try MPlayer Extended.
- Try Quicktime with Perian.

In my opinion, though, VLC handles MKVs best. It's not about the file size. VLC doesn't load the full file at once into RAM (that would make no sense).

I recently downloaded a program called Plex, and I've started using this program instead. It works fine with the video I tried to watch. MPlayer didn't work at all, and when I opened the file in MPlayer there came this horrible clicking-sound from the screen so I stopped using MPlayer alltogether.

Thanks for the advice.

Back