Mobile Accounts and Time machine

johnathon03

Registered
What is the most efficient way to handle this situation.
I have a Mac Pro and a Macbook Pro.

I am trying to setup mobile accounts that match on both computers, but I only want one time machine backup.

Options I have come up with:
1st, use time machine to backup the networked copy, provides the most recent backup, but I have no Idea how to use it without manually logging into the server.
2nd, use time machine on the Mac Pro. Either it must be left on constantly to update so the time machine backup is frequent, or it will be left out of date. Or I could just leave the mac pro to do its backup When I use it, but either way I will have to use the Mac Pro to use time machine
3rd, I think this would be the best but i have no idea how to do it. Setup both the laptop and the Desktop to use a network time machine backup location, but I don't know if there is a way to make them the same, also if it is possible if there is ever a file that is not synced the time machine backup will have that file disappearing and reappearing ever time either computer performs a backup.

4th, theoretical option. Since the server is on the same network as the desktop at all times, I could have the server "store" the home folder on the desktop (mac pro) via file sharing, but I could have the Desktop log in locally bypassing the server all together. As things change they will be backed up by the desktop using time machine, and because every sync will wake up the mac pro while I'm using my laptop, the backups will stay in sync. This option is the most Hard drive space friendly since it only has the two local accounts with nothing on the server, if it is doable. Any ideas on how to set this up? Will the server ever allow the desktop to sleep using wake on command to access the account when necessary?

Back