Modem Issue, IMAC G3 OS 9.2

alangraham

Registered
Hi,

Im new to this whole Mac thing, and the project i have been given is an old one. I have been given an old Mac to repair, its one of the pretty slot loading gummy style IMAC G3s (presuming im right here, i know its old lol).

So here is the problem, everytime the mac boots it trys to connect to the interent. When it is trying to connect you cannot do anything else, unplug the modem lead so it cant connect and the Mac freezes. it does this constantly until it manages to get a connection. Is there a particular reason for this, or is it becomming dead.

It is on dialup before you ask, and generally i do PC support and have for the last few years so some of the older dial up problems i have checked out, im putting it down to software but dont really know where to begin.

Thanks in adavance

Is an app trying to connect, or just generally the finder? If its an app then you could force quit it... did you try that?

Oh and by the way, check this website. If it looks like my picture next to my name, you'll know its a G3 iMac.

Ahh yes then i was right it is a G3 Imac.

I believe it is just finder itself or whatever the MAC os Shell is. I cant see any app trying to connect. What i could really do is a task list like TASK Manager in Windows.

Is there anything that would cause it to freeze up totally when trying to connect. As until it connects or fails to connect i cannot do anything, let alone shutdown.

Thanks for the reply, hopefully i will be able to find a solution.

ok, seems you're mac is using FreePPP to connect than Apple Remote Access.

If you don't have FreePPP, open Remote Access control panel, options... button, ukcheck the first one "Connect automatically when starting TCP/IP", click OK, save the configuration.

open TCP/IP contol panel, options..., check "Load only when needed", and save the configuration. You are done.

If you have FreePPP installed and running, there is something similar to be done. Hope this helps.

Back