Momentus 5400.2 HDD replacement

Timotheos

Registered
Hi I seem to be having trouble with the new HD that seagate sent me when I returned my old HD under warranty.

I got back a 60gb Momentus 5400.2 back from seagate that I use in an external HD case. I formated the HD as Mac OSX journaled but whenever I try to copy anything onto it it just freezes my whole finder. Is this HD not compatible with my mac? I have a 12 inch 1ghz pBook.

Thanks for any help

Is this drive a bootable one or one just for storage? You mention Mac OS (Journaled) do you mean Mac OS X Extended (journaled)?

AFAIK, the format you've chosen is for a drive that needs to be bootable, ie: has a clone of your OS created by SuperDuper or CCC etc. Mac OS Extended (No Journaling) is for media/data storage ....

I can't say that this is your problem and you haven't mentioned whether the old HD was an external drive and what format you had used then (whether OS Journaled was chosen and previously worked for what you do).

Did you use the single partition on this new drive?

Thanks for your help so far.

I just use it for storage, I just manually back up my music, photo and document files with a single partion. yeah I did mean Mac OS X Extended (journaled). When I first plugged the HD into my computer it said that it was a disk that mac osx couldnt recongnise or something like that which I thought was fine because it was blank. I think I clicked ignore and went into Disk Utility and chose erase and set the option to Mac OS X Extended (journaled) - because thats what I remember doing with my old external (maybe I was mistaken).

I retried by formating with the same method meantioned above but sent to option to write the disk to zero to try get a clean start.

When I start trying to save data to the disk it starts ok then just seems to pause - currently its paused at 64.5mb.

I also thought I should meantion that im using usb to connect to the HD.

I try without the journaling.

The iBook is a G4 model, right?

My ext HD is also USB and I prefer it to be a bootable drive so there's no point my checking exactly how I originally formatted it ...

Even if you chose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) I'm not aware that that doesn't mean that you can't use it just for storage ...

What are you transferring at the moment ... ?

I just tried reformatting without journaling and was trying to copy music onto it. It got to about 24.x mb then the HD made a weird sound - as if it stopped for a second - then it it freezes the copying which makes my finder frozen also

My laptop is a g4 Power book. 12inch. 1ghz

I just tried again. I reformed as Mac OSX Extended with journaling. I created two partitions. The first 10gb called temp (for temporary files) and the rest called backup (for my backup of my files). I then tried to copy music again. As it was copying I watched the light on my external HD. Its orange when its writing to the disk. It got to 38mb, the light turned from orange to green (I think its green when its connected to power but not writing) and stop copying files again.

EDIT:
I tried to format under the windows format (HFS or something) just to see if I could copy files with that. I got to a couple of hunder mb with no problem. But I cant backup a large percentage of my files because their long file names arent supported under the format. grrr

Last edited:
what is the difference between SATA and ATA?

SATA stands for Serial ATA which has smaller connections and higher data speeds.
ATA stands for Advanced Technology Attachment and has a 40 pin connector with reported speeds of up to 133 Mbps.

Pick the right file system for your Mac's internal or external storage

You will see this if you scroll down at the above link:

UNIX File System (UFS) is exactly what the name suggests. Don't use it unless you know you need to.

Unless you have a specific reason to use UFS, you should use the Mac OS Extended and Mac OS Extended Journaled format since it provides a more familiar experience to Macintosh users.

The above quote comes from Apple:

Mac OS X Choosing UFS or Mac OS Extended (HFS Plus) formatting

I also found this:

Use Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled) is its going to be mac only, if you don't do case-sensitive, you could inadvertently save mypicture.jpg and MyPicture.JPG as the same file.

Hmmm, so I seems that I shouldn't really be using UFS (which I could have guessed), but its the only thing that seems to work so far. I guess I will have to stick with UFS unless I can get my OSX extended to write properly. It seems to strange.

I wonder if it's to do with the files and not the drive ... I know that sounds wrong but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason .... can you test the drive out on another Mac?

Or just try to copy over a small amount at a time?

I just went up to uni and reformated to mac osx extended (journaled) on a new intel mac pro with leopard. I copied about 1gb onto my HD with no problem so I thought maybe there was a problem with my disk utility? I took the HD home, tried to copy some photos, got to 8.5mb and the HD froze again.

That's great news Timotheos! I'm starting to suspect the cable ... is it possible to swap it over? My two Canon printers use exactly the same USB cable as my External Hard Drives.

The cable I'm using is from a printer too. I'm using the same cable up at uni (where I could copy stuff successfully) as I did at home. And that wouldn't really explain why I can copy files when its formatted to UNIX but not when its Mac OSX would it?

I repaired my permissions on my powerbook just to see if something there was messing it up the copying but that didn't fix it.

Back