monitor keeps going to sleep for no apparent reason?

wizerd

Registered
I own an imac g5 20" and it just goes to sleep, hard drive and all, and I'm not sure what exactly causes it? I checked the energy saver settings, which are set for 30 minutes monitor turns off, 1 hour hard drive shuts down.... i ran all the onyx maintenance stuff...

... and i'm still clueless

i haven't really noted what i was doing when it went to sleep except for recently whenever i watch videos it has a tendency to... but then again i've been in word typing something and it's done the same thing.... it's just really aggrivating having any kind of quirk in my mac...

Did you activate any of your 'hot corners'? Try dragging to a corner and see if your computer goes to sleep. If so, you can undo the corners by going to Desktop/Screensavers then Hot Corners.

not the problem, i never used that feature... but i checked on it anyways and it wasn't set to anything...

Repair Permissions and then restart and see if that fixes it:

apps/utilities/disk utility/repair permissions

i ran it with onyx earlier but maybe it retriggered somehow... it did fix a lot this time though so we'll see i'll check back whenever it happens again....

Download Hardware Monitor (free trial) and watch the temp of your HD. Does your fan rev up? My G5 did the same thing, it never FELT hot but it was reaching 86 degrees which is maximum and then it shut down to preserve itself. But if this is the case you will kill your computer in time. It needs a new power supply/ logic board ($1000 repair) but it may be covered under Apple's Extended Repair Program. Check Apple's web site for this.
You can also try Disk Utility to check/repair your HD and it will tell you if there's a problem. Best of luck!

Try This---go To Hard Drive>users>system Configuration> Find>com.apple.autowake.plist----it's A Preference-drag It To The Trash Can>empty The Trash And A New Pref. Will Be Created. Restart And Ck. Energy Settings-etc. This Fixed A Wake Problem For Me, And Might Fix Yoyr Problem.
Dickster

This does sound like a potential hardware problem as Macartist said. Some of the G5 iMacs had overheating issues.

This is a situation where repairing disk permissions would NOT be the first thing I'd think about.

t

Back