Monitor Resolution setting?

boysimple

Some guy
so - I was setting my monitor down to 640 x 480 to make sure that a web page I was working on would fit properly, and when I went to switch back to 1600x1200, I accidentally clicked the 1900x1700 (or sumpin like that) resolution setting. As my monitor does not support that, It started freaking out and I thought "hey, no problem, it'll switch itself back in just a few seconds." however, several minutes later it hadn't switched back. so now I'm in OS 9, and wondering if there is an easy way to change the resolution setting of X.

anyone have any suggestions?

E

while booted into OS9, goto..

/Library/Preferences

delete com.apple.windowserver.plist

reboot back to OSX and it will drop back to the default monitor resolution.

found the answer myself in the apple knowledge database :) Just boot into 9 and delete this file:

/Library/Prefrences/com.apple.windowserver.plist

and then reboot into X

E

LOL! It just goes to show that there is a need for using seconds, in addition to minutes and hours, when listing the time of posting.
:p

My monitor and my mac seem to disagree about what refresh rate the monitor can handle at 1600x1200. I'm inclined to suspect this is the monitor's fault; it probably describes itself as being a bit more capable than it is.

That's not a big deal. I'm happy to just select the second-to-last available rate in the pane and be done with it.

The problem is that I can't get os10 to remember this across reboots. Every time the system boots, it sets up house at the slightly-higher refresh rate, giving me a blank monitor, and nothing to do but hit the reset button. (Yeah, I could ssh in, but I've found os10 to be forgiving enough of hard reboots. =) )

My current silly hack is to simply have the monitor unplugged during boot; this causes the mac to set up video at 1600x1200, but at some more conservative refresh, which the monitor will happily speak.

Ah well, time to go see if 10.1.2 happens to fix this...

Back