Monitor Woes

kreena

Registered
I have a Mac G4 running OS 10.2.8 and I have just gotten an eMachines Monitor. When I plug it all in and reboot, all I get is a blank black screen. The eMachines site is ridiculous and in order to access any support they make you download a .exe program which doesn't run because I use a Mac (which I already told them). So...since I am not terribly knowledgeable about OS X, do I need a driver or what to make the monitor work? Help!

It's possible that the refresh rate is set too high for this monitor to support. Try zapping the PRAM by holding down Apple-Option-P-R right after the Macintosh startup chime. Let it chime for about 3 times or so and then let go. That should bring the refresh rate back down to about 60 Hz, and you'll be able to change it to a higher refresh rate that's supported by that monitor once at the desktop. Just head to System Preferences and select the Displays pane. That should set you golden. :D

I also have a G4 with a Trinitron attached. Monitor screen will not awake from sleep till it is turned off and then on again and then it displays the monitor message that the monitor is working and appears to have no signal from the video card. I tried zapping the PRAM and tried to boot from a CD with the same result. How do you diagnose the problem? Thanks.

Back