Monolingual probably deleted Rosetta - HELP!

BGmon

Registered
Hi everyone,
So I used Monolingual to get rid of some localisations in order to free some space on my MB. I also (for some reason) used the default setting of deleting all architectures except Intel (so all PPC ones). Now, Microsoft Office won't work for me (the icons bounce for half a second then stop). I suspect that Monolingual has deleted Rosetta off my system. Is there any way of restoring Rosetta (e.g. from a package file on the OSX restore disks or performing an upgrade from the restore disk?). Any help gladly appreciated.
Also, might be worth mentioning that I tried copying the original Office files from the CD but that didn't work.
Thanks in advance!

'... used Monolingual to get rid of some localisations ... I also ... used the default setting of deleting all architectures except Intel (so all PPC ones). Now, Microsoft Office won't work for me ... I suspect that Monolingual has deleted Rosetta ... Is there any way of restoring Rosetta (...?). Any help gladly appreciated.'

01. As per 'Monolingual' ...

Q. Should I remove the non-Intel architectures on my Intel based Mac?
A. You can use Monolingual to remove non-Intel architectures for your installed applications (even if some of the applications are PowerPC-only; Monolingual is smart enough not to remove PPC forks if those are the only ones in the universal binary). However, you should not strip the System frameworks if you want to use Rosetta. Rosetta needs the PowerPC code for all frameworks used by the emulated application and if it can't find it, you may see messages such as the following in the console:

/System/Library/Frameworks/Cocoa.framework/Versions/A/Cocoa:
mach-o, but wrong architecture

02. 'Microsoft Office 2004' is not a 'Universal Binary'.

-----

Summary:

Understand the benefits and risks of an application, prior to using it.

Hi barhar and bobw,
Thanks for your replies. barhar - is there any way of reinstalling system frameworks? (would that solve my problem?)
bobw - I cannot uninstall office as the 'remove office' app won't run either! I also tried overwriting the office apps with the originals from the CD but that didn't help either...so I'm still stuck :(
Any other ideas?

Well, after Pacifist has opened the appropriate package file, click on the "find" icon at the top of the Pacifist window and type "system frameworks" or any other pertinent file name in the "find" window and click on the "find tab". You should then see a list of files in the search results window at the right. Highlight the file or files that you want installed and then click on "install" in the top left of the Pacifist window.

Hi AhhhChoo, thanks for the help but another user over at MacRumors says that it's easier to reinstall OSX because Monolingual has deleted the PPC architecture from inside all my apps! So I will be doing that tonight, once someone reassures me that Boot Camp won't be affected by this (My XP partition, to be exact - I will have to reinstall BC)
Thanks anyway :)

Hi everyone, just to let you know I reinstalled OSX and everything is fine now :) Installing OSX didn't affect my XP installation (which I didn't think it would)

hi everyone im new to this forum but i did the same exact thing i uninstalled evrything but the intel architecture and consiquently half my programs open...i tried to reinstall os x and it said the only way i can reinstall os x is to format and start from scratch, i have too much stuff to do that.

is there ANY way maybe i can just run a certain setup file from the install disc(s) and that would maybe do the trick? i'm open to all suggestions if anyone could please help me out i'd appreciate it. i'm not computer illiterate i just made a dumb mistake to free some space up.

Back