More choice please Apple!

goynang

Some guy
Apple 20inch cinema display = 999 UKP. Apple 20inch 1.8ghz G5 iMac = 1,349 UKP. Therefore 1.8ghx G5 box must be worth around 350 UKP.

I realise this is pretty simplistic but still, can't be a million miles from the truth. So, if Apple sold a headless box (with suitably cool design) with all the usual ports and an few different options for GFX card surely it could come in at under 500UKP. Even at 6-700UKP it would be interesting.

Yet the cheapest Power Mac is 1449 UKP. I appreciate this has plenty of extras (internal slots and what not) and is dual processor but what if you don't need all the extras? Where do you go?

I'm the market for a new Mac. The iMac doesn't seem quite right due to the fact I get another screen I don't really need and the slightly weak GFX card (OK for many but I want a bit more). A Power Mac doesn't seem right as I know I don't need all the extra PCI-X slots (I'll never use 'em) or even all its processing power so I'm paying for things I don't need.

I'm probably going to settle (!?!?) for a Power Mac and I'm sure I'll love it but I just wish I had a few more choices.

Or, is this Apple's plan? They've probably got me spending more money with them than I want to.

OK - start pulling my logic apart....

Having too many product lines isn't in Apple's best interest. It will:
a) Confuse potential buyers who aren't too computer savvy.
b) Increase expenditure since there are more product lines for Apple to maintain which then gets passed on to consumers.

Note: I'm not an economics major so there is a fair chance that I don't know what I'm talking about :D. What I do know of economics was what I did back in college before I went to Uni. But that's my take on where things stand.

Yeah, reasonable points.

I think you can lessen any potential confusion with clever marketing and clear branding but it is still an issue. Mind you, plenty of other options do exist (they're just not made by Apple) so the market place is already pretty confusing for many.

I think the increased support costs is probably a very big issue for Apple. One of the big plusses with Apple stuff is the fact that (generally) it just works so I can understand that the more product lines they support and the more potential combinations of systems and peripherals then the bigger the support issues.

It just seems a shame that I want to buy a new Mac and there isn't really one that is 100% what I'm after. Perhaps what I want is just too niche to make it a mass marketable product.

The cinema displays are better quality than those in the iMacs, so it's not really a good comparison.

Sometimes you do have to make a compromise when you have limited choices. But look at the PowerMac seriously. You will be able to grow with it. You may find that you will need the extra PCI slots in the future. You will be able to expand very easily.

It's like buying a car and you don't like everything that is in the luxury package but you have no choice as the luxury package items are not selectable. And if you don't get the luxury package, you loose the little extras that you wanted. :)

I've made my choice. I have ordered a Power Mac (dual 1.8ghz with 1gb RAM and the Nvidia 6800 ultra). I figured it's normally better to buy more than you need rather than less.

Now to wait for it......

Back