More New iBook Musing

boyfarrell

Registered
Hello all.

I have decided to change back to mac after a 3 year spell with a PC. There has been nothing I have used the PC for that I couldn't use the mac for ... anyway to the point!

I am thinking about getting an 12 inch iBook. My question is, when the new iBook is realised (whenever that is) how much will the price of the current models drop by and how long to I have to get one before the shops run out of the replaced 1.2 Ghz model?

I would like to minimise the cost, and would be happy with a 1.2GHz processor etc...

Also, when the new model are introduced with the new 12inch model be the same price as the current 12 inch model? How do apple price there products when they come out? Do they reduced the price over it's available life?

Thanks for you help!

Dan.

Firstly, Welcome back! :p

i assume you mean reatil stores when you ask of reduced prices of outgoing models. this may be true, but as soon as new models are realeased, you can no longer buy online, or buy made-to order - it's all new machines.

in terms of prices between old and new, the G5 iMac was actually $500 cheaper than it's predecessor.... so things may be good, but don't expect that much off. i'd definately wait though - it's the next thing to be upgraded.

So by waiting I can get something better for the same price (or lower). But also by looking at different retailers went they do release I might be able to get at 12 inch 1.2 GHz bargin.

Sounds great!

Dan.

I'd go for an iBook now, if you wait, you can wait forever, there's always something around the corner. Every computer is obsolete the moment it comes out. If you can, get one now it will last you until the Intel models come out and some time after that too. My advice: maximise the lifetime of the purchase, buy now and get the most from it, until you HAVE to upgrade. I expect the first Intel iBooks to be out by Q4 2006.

Hi fjdouse,

I know it's all speculation but do you really think 'iBook musers' will have to wait for much longer?

I'm in the UK, has anybody got an idea of a good mac retailer, to try for a 'cheap' 12 inch 1.2 GHz when the new ones are realised? Or is it just PC World, Dixons etc ....

if you're lucky, you can check with a Apple retail store to see if they have an older model in stock right after the new ones are released. that's how i bought a demo model of a dual 2 Ghz G5 Powermac for $1400.

boyfarrell said:
Hi fjdouse,

I know it's all speculation but do you really think 'iBook musers' will have to wait for much longer?

I'm in the UK, has anybody got an idea of a good mac retailer, to try for a 'cheap' 12 inch 1.2 GHz when the new ones are realised? Or is it just PC World, Dixons etc ....

Well if you go in PC World or Dixons, you know what those idiots will do, they'll try everything to make you buy a PC! ;-) I've tried. As soon as new machines come out, you won't be able to get the older ones from either of those two.

If and when they update the line, I expect 1.33GHz iBooks to be at the lowest price, the increase is so small, I really don't think you'll notice. I've tried a 1.4GHz mini and 1.25GHz mini and settled for the cheaper one as I couldn't perceive the speed increase at all.

Give Cancom a call, www.cancomuk.com They seem quite good, we've been thinking about a refurbished iBook from there. Welcome back to Mac :)

when did the iBook go snow? i mean it's current form factor? when was that? it seems like quite a while, ergo time for new iBook. it appears to be the next model to be changed in form factor, and steve jobs said there's going to be loads of great PPC products coming up... iBook.

i'd possibly put money on it.... i'd see if you can hold out till october. but that is a long time. macworld's coming up though, July the something. wait for that, if they announce it, great! if not, buy away anyway.

Not sure if you would conceder this but since the recent news regarding x86 I have noticed a significant decrease in the prices of PowerBooks and iBooks on ebay in the UK - Might be worth a look.

To save a bit of cash ebay is excellent. But don't know ... for something as complicated and expensive as a laptop, it would be nice to buy from a retailer...

How much have the prices gone down on ebay? What is the 'standard' of a ibook, I'm out of touch with second hand prices.

cancomuk seem to have very good prices, thanks for the link!

Lt Burns, what do you mean by form factor?

As well as the predicted 1.33 GHz (which lets face is most probably in sequential) what else will realistically be upped?

boyfarrell said:
To save a bit of cash ebay is excellent. But don't know ... for something as complicated and expensive as a laptop, it would be nice to buy from a retailer...

How much have the prices gone down on ebay? What is the 'standard' of a ibook, I'm out of touch with second hand prices.

As unusual as this sounds you will find on eBay that the older models i.e. g3 to low g4 are usually over much overpriced on eBay for what they are realistically worth. When you get to the newer more recent models you tend to find they can be of very good value - some even coming with applecare that transferable. Recently a 1.5 Powerbook G4 went for £830 where as g3 300 Clamshell blueberry went for £310.... It is a strange world indeed.

form factor = the casing. previous form factor for the ibook was the big blobby colourful clamshell design corresponding with the original coloured imacs.

the next one? who knows?

I think the current design has some life left yet, it looks great, I was looking at one earlier.

Okay I understand. I thought that it might be the speed at which the components run; the front side bus or L2 cache etc .... well I'm going to hang around a wait for a new one a think! UNLESS .... are the powerbooks worth the extra money!?

Just a note, cancomuk prices good, engineers not so good. They were supposed to fix a dodgy combo drive on my powerbook (bought there new), killed the logic board in the process, replaced that with one with a faulty firewire (they didn't test anything but if it booted), then replaced they with a logic board with a faulty mic-in. Last, they acted like a******s about the whole thing (This was their Kensington branch).

That said, two of my friends bought refurb quicksilvers from them and have had no problems. Overall I guess check their prices. If you get a machine then test it thoroughly, and if it goes wrong, don't go to at least that branch for repairs.

Thanks for the advice, Kensington is the nearest one as well!

Do you think it is better to buy direct from apple or go through a retailer?

Also, is it just me or is apple over charging when you choose to have additional RAM added to you computer!

£88.11 at the crucial UK website: http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/lis...=Apple&cat=&model=iBook+(G4+1.2GHz)&submit=Go

Or, £340 of the added 1GB stick!:
http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObj...NCj7Y2eg/1.0.11.1.0.6.25.1.0.21.3.1.1.0?56,11

That's almost 4 times as expensive folks!

I'd say it's better to buy from Apple, we did. Then again, my old Mac came from MacZone and I was happy with that... until it blew up! :)

Yes, Apple RAM prices are a joke but I'm sure some illustrious folk here will fully justify the extortion. ;-P

No. Don't buy your RAM from Apple. Buy it from a memory place that tests its memory in Macs, such as Memorytogo.com, Kingston, Crucial, etc.

Doug

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/2700DDRS1GBA/
1GB (1024MB) PC2700 DDR SODIMM 200 Pin Memory Module 128x64 CL 2.5 for all PowerBook G4 'Aluminum' 12", 15" & 17" Models, all iBook G4s, iMac G4 1.0GHz+. Tested & Guaranteed! New, Lifetime Advance Replacement Warranty. - $139.99

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Samsung/27SAMSO1GB/
1GB Samsung Original PC2700 DDR-SO 333MHz Cas 2.5 200 Pin Memory Upgrade Module for all PowerBook G4 'Aluminum' 12", 15" & 17" Models, all iBook G4s, iMac G4 1.0GHz+. New, Lifetime Advance Replacement Warranty. Same module Apple offers factory installed! - $175.00

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...8hu5yPN/0.0.11.1.0.6.15.0.4.1.3.0.3.1.6.1.1.0
Apple Memory Module 1GB PC2700 DDR333 SO-DIMM.
- $500.00

Back