More ram don't = speed or does it?

Mr. Fancy Pants

Mr. Fancy Pants
Hi, I was runing OS X 10.0.4 on my iMac DV SE 400 with 128mb ram. Most of my carbon apps would take a long time to open (Eg. IE 5.1 23 bounces!). I recently splurged and got a 512mb ram upgrade. I put the ram in (and made sure it recognized it). I defraged my drive with System works and I optimized the drive (prebinding) with a Unix command. My Mac still runs just as slow in OS X. I know 10.1 will be out in September but I've read other people success stories stating faster speeds with more ram. Any ideas? Any suggestions? (other than "Get a G4") Thank you in advance.

Hello,

Some ideas.

Create a new user primary user. Somehow my user "profile" got royally out of whack. Scrolling even took too long. Creating a new user, and yes redoing all the prefs, "fixed" the problem.

There have been articles on the net about placing your swap file (virtual memory) on another physical drive or partition. Placing the swap file on another physical drive will increase the speed because your main drive is no longer tasked to do memory swapping as well. Placing the swap file on another partition will just reduce disk fragmentation.

Of course those options means (a) getting an external drive or (b) reformating and repartitioning your existing drive.

Take away those bounces. The bouncing themselves suprisingly adds a significant time to loading an application.

Thats all I got.

Originally posted by moss514
Hi, I was runing OS X 10.0.4 on my iMac DV SE 400 with 128mb ram. Most of my carbon apps would take a long time to open (Eg. IE 5.1 23 bounces!). I recently splurged and got a 512mb ram upgrade. I put the ram in (and made sure it recognized it). I defraged my drive with System works and I optimized the drive (prebinding) with a Unix command. My Mac still runs just as slow in OS X. I know 10.1 will be out in September but I've read other people success stories stating faster speeds with more ram. Any ideas? Any suggestions? (other than "Get a G4") Thank you in advance.

Did you opt to use more RAM when preginding? if you didn't you'll be going the same speed as before. If you choose "More Mem" you speed up. Try using XOptimise, you can get it at Version Tracker.

Back