More support for Apple Int. customers!! (petition link)

Pointless. Apple has already said they will be releasing the music service to other countries soon. They can't be expected to have all the legal aspects worked out the instant they release everything.

Originally posted by Captain Code
Pointless. Apple has already said they will be releasing the music service to other countries soon. They can't be expected to have all the legal aspects worked out the instant they release everything.

they have?

Yes. Steve said so in his announcment. I watched the Quicktime stream. He said it will be initially US only.

Most likely, the delay is with the major labels. They are treating this as a test. Before they grant Apple rights to distribute their music to other countries, they want to see how well it will do here in the US, along with how it could potentially affect US sales.

Once they see that it's a good thing (hopefully), you'll see them loosen up and allow Apple to distribute to other countries.

If you want to petition someone, petition the labels, because they hold all legal rights to the music...

Originally posted by serpicolugnut
Most likely, the delay is with the major labels. They are treating this as a test. Before they grant Apple rights to distribute their music to other countries, they want to see how well it will do here in the US, along with how it could potentially affect US sales.

Once they see that it's a good thing (hopefully), you'll see them loosen up and allow Apple to distribute to other countries.

If you want to petition someone, petition the labels, because they hold all legal rights to the music...

Yup, go after the labels, they are the ones that really control the whole thing right now. Also, they and the musicians are the reason that some music isn't available yet thru Apple. Some musicians and labels just see it as another venue to provide quicker illegal file sharing.

Another reason that the service isn't available outside the US is a matter of taxes. I don't know how it is in other countries but here in the US no state or local or federal tax is paid on purchases made via the internet. Well, unless the company has a presence in the state you live in, but Apple didn't charge me state sales tax on the purchase I made yesterday and I live in California so, i'm not so sure now......

Can you imagine the nightmare of distributing taxes to every nation, state/province/county city that wants a cut? It gives me a headache just to think about it.

Think about it. When the shop will come to US, it'll be improved, more stable, less crashy than it is now. It's not so bad we Europeans have to wait... a bit.

Well, we've been waiting about a lot of things ... (iPhoto prints, Sherlock channels ...)

Well, I still say if have a family member or close friend in the States to use their address, or a Yank working abroad that you're mates with, that's a viable option for the short run.
I'm sure a lot has to do with billing as well and currency exchange. Say someone pays for 4 songs via Euro (or rand if in SA, but no relation to moi), then the money has to be converted to US, etc. Not sure if the service charges you instantly or over a 24-hour period, but a lot of credit card companies may not like having to convert lots of really small amounts like that over to US since the US is one of the stronger currencies.
I checked on online banking yesterday and had one charge for my downloads even though I staggered them before and after work to see what the billing was like.
I also got a e-mail statement with Apple with the total amount, so maybe the time factor has something to do as well. After a certain 24-period, the charges are made since 1 $24 charge is easier for companies to deal with than 24 $1 charges. And with only slight difference in US time zones, it's less of a headache than 24 different time zones.
I'm sure it'll come around quick enough and that more international flavor (or flavour, if you wish) will be added to the service.

Originally posted by Randman
Well, I still say if have a family member or close friend in the States to use their address, or a Yank working abroad that you're mates with, that's a viable option for the short run.

I would be careful about the above. Here is link to Apple's sales policy.

U.S. SALES ONLY
Purchases from the iTunes Music Store are available only in the United States and are not available in any other location. You agree not to use or attempt to use the service from outside of the available territory. Apple may use technologies to verify such compliance.

I wonder if those technologies are in place now.

if you start itunes (i am in holland) the app itsself specificaly states that i can not buy music unless i have a billing address in the US.

since the app's message is pretty much in my face every time i start itunes, and i HAVE an address of a friend in the states, i'd say i pretty much comply.

Back