MOSR predicts 100% increase in proc speed by MWNY.

The images currently in my mind are of porcine aviators and frozen precipitation in Hades. :p

Glad you enjoyed it. I had a good chuckle at the thought of an announcement about 100% increase in speed by July. And then I wept. :rolleyes:

I think what they MEANT was overall system performance, balancing everything from system bus speed to memory speed to processor speed to amount of L2/L3 cache.

It's still pretty bogus anyway. :p

You may think what you want, but *if* there are G4's at 1.5 GHz by July, *if* Apple uses 266 or 333 MHz bus speed and *if* Apple uses dual processors for mid and high end machines along with faster harddrives and GeForce 4Ti cards, this *will* be a 100% speed increase at the very *least*.

Also, I don't believe MacOSRumors is that bad. They may have posted rumours with less credibility than others, but they've also posted real stuff. We'll see when they post more about that.

It seems clear by now that the NY PowerMacs will use the PPC 7470, which should bring quite some performance, comparing to the 7450 MHz to MHz. Which is good. I hope we'll really see the speed increase, and I wonder how far back the PowerBooks will fall by Autumn, as I don't want to buy a PowerMac. I want a Ti at 1.2 or more GHz. 7460, 7470?

Here's the relevant portion from their site:

Oh, and one last thing.....

If you've been drooling over next-generation processors like the G5, and wish Apple would toss the tired old translucent PowerMac design for something more modern that the current Quicksilver incarnation, this summer will have you very pleased indeed. We can't promise multi-processor 2GHz G5s, but we can promise a performance leap of more than 100% in processing speed alone over the existing PowerMac....and major leaps in almost every category on the motherboard. Stay tuned for more exclusive details, only here on MOSR :)

I don't know if it's true. I'm guessing it is. Maybe all my calls for a move to x86 will be proven to be dumb ideas? I'd like that.

At some point the processor will become fast enough and the system performance will be limited by something else. Whenever a faster Intel processor is released it's greeted with a yawn from the PC guys. That's because their systems are already so fast. Wouldn't it be cool if we were there but the end of the summer?

Vanguard

PS Maybe I'm dreaming. If so, don't wake me. :)

Your right, getting to that point where speed increases only affect big apps for 3d and such, and the system doesn't need anymore... I too would be extremely happy.

By the MOSR do promise this increase, so it must be true!;)

It's nice to dream about the G5, but given Motorola's lack of motivation for developing faster processors ON TIME and with SIMILAR PROGRESS as the rest of the industry (Intel & AMD), I think we're going to see faster G4's with a speed bumped logic board (maybe 400MHz). If the story has credibility and the G4's themselves aren't all that much faster than today's current lot, then we may see a Quad G4. Can you imagine the size of the heat sink? I remember reading about these at different rumor sites on separate occasions.

The Sandman cometh...

"MOSR predicts 100% increase in proc speed by MWNY"

yeah right. There will be some kind of speed increase... but I do not think it will be 100%. Why would Moto or Apple want to do that?

Yeah is this another one of those, I know a guy who was at a party who talked to an apple employee who was drunk and he said something that he heard from someone else who heard from steve jobs that there will be a a G5 sphereMac????

Oh? Its not? :D

You know when MOSR.com lost credibility? When it posted that thing about the G5 dodecahedron. That was just so blatantly stupid and Apple would never release something like that. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Now I go just to see all the stupid rumors. I also think it's funny when they said "Apple released the long-rumored eMac" when they didn't say a friggin' thing about it before it came out.

Back