Mother of all Weirdness

G4Mystic400

Registered
Okay, to start it off, I tried to wake my Lombard PB, and it didn't seem to want to turn on the display. So I restart and get it all up and going, and the first thing it wants to do is updat the new Apple Installer. Fine, does it: and I close the window.

I click on my IE icon and the terminal app opens up with two windows, the first window a terminal path to inside the IE app, and the second is the default to my home directory.

Every other application I open does this (of coarse it doesn't open up an additional home directory for me).

So I'm thinking, okay something totally weird has happened with my permissions, that it doesn't want to launch them because it is not set to execute anymore.

So by chance I open up an Apple Works file and the Apple Works app opens!

I quit the program, and try launching it by itself and again to the terminal it goes!

Now I have been known to constantly have to reinsall system software because I push my machines above and beyond what apple had in mind (I've got an awsome mobile developer powerhouse here! I'm not just going to type up word processing documents and listen to MP3s!).

So, I ask you this, has anyone else discovered this, or have I created my own disease which will someday be named after me?

-Jim

This may or not be related... but you can look at it to see if that's the issue (unless you've already re-installed). I had a bad install occur that I rebooted the computer after (it was for Tropico, I think... great game, but I play it is OS 9). When the machine came back up, all my applications where now folders instead (ie: the finder wasn't hiding the contents). When I double clicked, it just opened up the folder.
As it turns out, there are a few files named:

LSApplications
LSClaimedTypes
LSSchemes

That you can move out of ~/Library/Preferences and have the Finder rebuild them (I think you can just log out and back in). Everything worked fine after that. (I actually moved them before deleteing them - because I'm paranoid... but its not a bad idea if you try this.)

Thanks for the reply dude, but alas, I've allready put a fresh load on.

But I did discover something else before I did: only the Cocoa apps did this. All of my carbon apps weren't effected.

-Jim

That seems to match with what I had, then. Since carbon apps are "normal" (in the classic Mac OS sense) and cocoa apps are packages (ie: double-clickable folders). Hm...

I'd like to know more about those LS files, actually...

I don't have any suggestions, either, but I'm almost positive that Carbon apps can be packages (double-clikable folders) as well--Netscape 6 and the newest iMovie, for example--both include a whole mess of files within the "application". Might be something similar at work, though...

Back