Motorola A388

BoneFill

Registered
Hi all...

A friend of mine gave me a Motorola A388 for my bday the thing is that I don't own any PCs any more and i'm wondering if are there any ways to sync that phone to a Mac...

It syncs with PCs via serial port and TrueSync... ::ha::

I have VPC 6 installed on an iMac so, maybe i can find a Serial/USB converter but I want to be sure that there are no other ways before doing that...

My system: some Macs with OSX 10.2.6

Thnx to all...

According to this article, no.

http://www.techtv.com/freshgear/print/0,23102,3382041,00.html

To synchronize data with your PC desktop, Motorola includes TrueSync from Starfish. Out of the box, you'll be able to synch with Microsoft Outlook and TrueSync Desktop, Starfish's own personal information manager (PIM). Unfortunately, Motorola goes with a serial synching cable instead of USB. Many notebooks no longer offer serial ports, so you'll have to get a third-party converter. The serial cable is included in the package. However, it was missing from our review unit so we couldn't test its capabilities. Also missing is support for the Apple Macintosh operating system.

Pros: Triband support; clean interface; small size.

Cons: Poor power management; no speakerphone; slow handwriting recognition; no Mac support.

Guess, you could try VPC.

Some friend, huh?

Was this phone new? If so, could you trade it in for something like the 3650? You could always tell you friend, you truly appreciate the offer, but it's more work and cost involved on your part to try and sync them, then trade it in for a phone with similar features that connects to your computer more easily.

WOW!!! that was fast... :eek:

Thnx.... I've seen that article too but you know it was written in june 2002 so I was thinking that maybe something has changed since then...

I guess I'm going to end using the converer+VPC solution... :(

I guess the only phones with features like that here in mexico are the Handspring Treo (the one who gave this phone to me owns one of those) and the Palm Tugsten...

Yeap, a friend... more like a brother, I know most of my friends since 1986 so we are Family... it was a cool gift I love this phone I just want it to sync whith my Mac... maybe next year someone will give me the color model... :p

Thnx...

Okay, now I have a Serial/USB adapter that works with PL2303 driver and I have installed the latest version of that driver which is 1.0.6 for MacOS X 10.2.6 but I can't get it to work with any device not my phone nor a mouse nor a Palm... nothing seems to work...

I also have instaled the driver on VPC 6 W98SE but i dont know how to redirect USB to COM1 or 2...

I've paid 40$ for the adapter so I really really need to make it work with one serial device at least... it's a matter of honor... I don't want to be flamed by my PC friends about this... :p

Thanks in advance

Finally I can sync some things through an App called GSM Remote (you can find it at VT), SIM stored things to be honest and does not do a conventional sync but a Modem sync...

Now I can send SMS trhough OSX and see my SIM's phonebook... maybe next release of this App will bring the ability to store things right in the devide phonebook, calendar and ToDo list...

Most GSM phones are supported by "GSM Remote" but by now I've only tested a Treo270 and a Trium (Mitsu) I can see the whole phonebook on the last one... it's working great...

I'll do some more tests tomorrow also I'll look for an App to send files...

BTW my USB adapter is working great too, I just have to go to the Network PrefPane to let the system do an Autosetup and list it as a modem –at least for devices like mine-

Thx...

Back