Motorola/Apple iTunes phone coming...

While we're at it, a watch phone that plays MPEG-4? And a 2-way walkie talkie (preferrably one with that *erm* wonderful Nokia push-to-talk noise)! Calling Dick Tracy!

I want a phone that... let's me... call people. And let's me... receive calls... sometimes.

That would be cool. :D

adambyte: If you don't need it to be mobile, I've got an old analog lying around somewhere. You might need a few adapters to make it work, though. ;)

On topic: I guess it'll really just be another Motorola phone with iSync support and some way of moving protected AAC files (and MP3 and unprotected AAC, probably) to its memory.

fryke said:
adambyte: If you don't need it to be mobile, I've got an old analog lying around somewhere. You might need a few adapters to make it work, though. ;)

On topic: I guess it'll really just be another Motorola phone with iSync support and some way of moving protected AAC files (and MP3 and unprotected AAC, probably) to its memory.
I would be a bit mystified if this were to be the case i.e. Why bother with releasing a new phone?

It'd have to have something which made people think "That'd be really useful to play music on" (e.g. 1 Gb of built in storage?).

Kap

Well: There are already quite a lot of mobile phones which _do_ play MP3 and AAC (though not the protected variant) files. Nokia 6230, for example, but a lot more. The problem there is not the space, because you can add, say, a 512 MB card to it, so you've got quite a few tracks on it. The problem is rather the way of putting them onto the phone. Bluetooth is very, very slow, and basically you have to put them on one by one, which just s*cks.

So if the Mot' phone has a USB-2 connection that's fast enough, that alone is going to rock (and that basically was the iPod's initial killer feature: fast connection through FW).

The article at Forbes' says, for example: "The companies said they plan to release a phone that will connect locally to computers running Microsoft's (nasdaq: MSFT - news - people ) Windows as well as Apple's Macintosh computers using a cable or a Bluetooth wireless connection." Which - to me - sounds pretty bad. Sounds like "We've GOT that already" in quite a few other phones. And as the sound on a cell phone, even with good headphones, is probably sub-par, you could even burn M4P files to a CD and re-import as MP3, and they'd still sound good enough for your mobile phone... I.e.: Yes, I agree, they'd have to bring something more to the game than just a 'connection' and the 'ability to play music' on the phone.

fryke said:

I don't care about playing iTunes tunes on my phone.... I just hope whatever updates they make to iSync will finally let me sync my RAZR V3!

fryke said:
The article at Forbes' says, for example: "The companies said they plan to release a phone that will connect locally to computers running Microsoft's (nasdaq: MSFT - news - people ) Windows as well as Apple's Macintosh computers using a cable or a Bluetooth wireless connection." Which - to me - sounds pretty bad. Sounds like "We've GOT that already" in quite a few other phones. And as the sound on a cell phone, even with good headphones, is probably sub-par, you could even burn M4P files to a CD and re-import as MP3, and they'd still sound good enough for your mobile phone... I.e.: Yes, I agree, they'd have to bring something more to the game than just a 'connection' and the 'ability to play music' on the phone.

Let's hope it's not just a publicity stunt... two awesome hardware design companies "teaming up" to do nothing new.

Well, you certainly can't compare these hardware design teams and see them on one level... But then again, I guess Apple really just delivers software here. Some mobile iTunes application and the synch-work, I guess. The rest's up to Motorola, it seems...

Ripcord said:
And a 2-way walkie talkie (preferrably one with that *erm* wonderful Nokia push-to-talk noise)!

I was told something should be released in spring at the latest for Nextel users (Moto.iTunes phone).

Said source is pretty reliable IMO, but as you know it's a ??? regardless. He was dead-on about their picture phone and it's release as well as about other things over the years, so I tend to believe it.

Well, moto-itunes phone is not really a RUMOUR, since Apple and Motorola have LONG said it'd come in the first half of 2005... So I guess your source _would_ be reliable, unless either Motorola or Apple back out. The Forbes' article doesn't let me think they'd back out now. ;)

What new feature ?
Maybe the possibility to buy Music through the phone (UMTS download) !
Or a direct connection between the phone and the iPod for music and photos ?

fryke said:
Well, moto-itunes phone is not really a RUMOUR, since Apple and Motorola have LONG said it'd come in the first half of 2005... So I guess your source _would_ be reliable, unless either Motorola or Apple back out.

Actually, the rumor was referring to the Nextel version phone. We already know there's a definite phone coming for regular carriers from Moto, they announced them in a press release back in the summer of 04.

Back