Motorola iTunes Phone Thread

Steve Jobs: "Ugh. That kinda looks, erh, ugly. Like as if you have a mix of analogue and digital. Remember that robot-head from L.E.X.X - THE DARK ZONE? Seven-Ninety? Could you call that phone 790? Thank you."

(LEXX' "790" is a hommage to 'Marvin' in Douglas Adams' H2G2, in a way, and Douglas Adams was a Mac aficionado. So it might all make some strange sense, too. To me, it does. But then it's 03:15h here...) - http://topkool.free.fr/images_seriestv/lexx03.jpg

It doesn't look much different than any other phone I've seen. At least it's not that ugly black and green one that was floating around.

Yeah, I agree. There's not really anything new or innovative. They've just added the iPod interface and software to a phone.

I wasn't expecting anything horribly innovative, as we all knew that it was a Motorola phone that works with iTunes, not an APPLE phone.

Looks nice enough to me. I wouldn't mind getting one once the Cingular contract is up, soon.

I wonder if there will be a software or firmware update for other motorola phones to support itunes. My v635 supports mp3 playback and additional memory up to 256mb. Would be nice to combine it with itunes..

Not wanting to be a troll but I find it totally uninspiring, am I the only one who just wants a phone to be a phone? (To me the rest seems like junk to make people keep buying and producing yet more waste.)

I've heard some Moto phones actually _can_ be used with iTunes without an update, but they of course don't have the iTunes interface on the phone, then. I wouldn't expect Moto to upgrade older phones with iTunes, since they probably want to create some sales. I mean: That's _their_ interest in this deal, isn't it.

i got my contract nokia stolen. it was one of the 3g sets with a 1.3 mp camera, video recording, mp3 player etc (it had a 266mhz processor in it) - and it was the worst phone i ever had.

now i'm looking for a new phone, and i want a camera (to get those moments you always wished you'd bought your camera to :p) and i want it to look good, look kinda expensive, but really well designed. like my mac. but i want it SIMPLE! all the phones on the market ATM are the most bloated, slow, big, complex unintuitive turds. horrible. to the point where i don't want any of them.

especially not this one - it's hideous. and it's a motorola, so it's the most unintuitve device ever.

Zammy-Sam said:
I wonder if there will be a software or firmware update for other motorola phones to support itunes. My v635 supports mp3 playback and additional memory up to 256mb. Would be nice to combine it with itunes..

Nice phone. I am somewhat happy with my phone.

I think a better candidate (although not actually a Motorola) would be the SF65, with some variations of course.

Lt Major Burns said:
i got my contract nokia stolen. it was one of the 3g sets with a 1.3 mp camera, video recording, mp3 player etc (it had a 266mhz processor in it) - and it was the worst phone i ever had.

now i'm looking for a new phone, and i want a camera (to get those moments you always wished you'd bought your camera to :p) and i want it to look good, look kinda expensive, but really well designed. like my mac. but i want it SIMPLE! all the phones on the market ATM are the most bloated, slow, big, complex unintuitive turds. horrible. to the point where i don't want any of them.

especially not this one - it's hideous. and it's a motorola, so it's the most unintuitve device ever.

Yeah, my boss has the V3 Razr... I LOVE it, for how it is designed. But the motorola software still lets it down. Take a look at that Siemens phone. I would love to get it, but my one is just too good... despite the size...

I got a Motorola V220. It's not a super-mega-fancy phone. Alright, it has a camera in it and polyphonic ringtones. The polyphnic is already too much for me, and I wouldn't need the camera neither.

If I buy a phone, it should be able to, well, be able to make phone calls. Yeah. That's it. That's for me the sole reason of a mobile phone. I don't need an MP3 player. I don't need iTunes on my phone. For that I got a 20 Gig MP3 player, and I got a digi cam, which takes pics at better quality than a phone, well and for the rest, I got my laptop if I'm on the road.

To integrate all these things into a phone is nice, and it's somewhat cool, but useless.

Well, that clearly depends on people's different needs. I for one need a great today-view and calendar, I need a decent contact view and always-better E-Mail and SMS handling. Series 60 and Series 80 do those well - albeit with third party software for some tasks. But I can tell you that no Moto phone does those tasks well for me.

But the thread's about _this_ Moto phone and the iTunes integration. I guess if it's basically handled like an iPod shuffle from iTunes, I think that's great. If the interface from the mobile is much like an iPod (besides the missing wheel), that's great, too. Now if only Apple would offer iTunes integration as well as an iTunes player for Series 60/80 phones as a 3rd party application for those phones... It'd certainly be doable. It doesn't seem like the phone has iTMS integration, right? (The songs must be in iTunes on the PC/Mac.)

I've got a samsung D500 which has and mp3 player, 1.3mp camera, short video recorder and quite a bit of memory (not sure how much exactly but i have over 200 pictures and around 20 mp3s as well as all my messeage / contacts etc).

this was one of the first 'true convergence' phones - where there was a leap in the level of technology in a small (and i mean small!) device. the camera is a god-send, sure - the quality isn't as great as my 5.1mp digi cam but it's more than good enough to capture moments of 'nights out'... samsung have also just developed a 2.1mp camera - the first digi cam i ever bought was around 4 years ago and that was 2.1mp and was considered a high end consumer cam - and samsung have also said that in a year or so they could be upto 5-6 mp - if thats true - and if they can image handling, memory - and true camera capabilities into a small device that is a phone - then i wont need to buy a new stand alone digi cam if the quality is comparible. as a consumer you dont really need to go over 5mp.

the d500 also has a good mp3 player - and i can say that it actually never gets used. simply because of the non-standard headfone jack and the headfones you are then tied into by samsung - which are awful. put in a standard jack and better handling of the quality of sound - and music control - and it would get used more. the fact that the d500 has an mp3 player where music is transfered from your computer either by cable or bluetooth also leads me not to pay much heed to the idea that carriers dont want to carry the fone because they want to handle and get money for those tracks. then again - here in europe we get a MUCH better service from carriers than our US counterparts who tend to get locked out of every decent feature of their fones - and are then forced to pay extra to make the most of them.

- back to the fone at hand - i get the feeling its just a test fone to see how the software works - i think even jobs himself would think that its an ugly fone and would want to have itunes on the higher end and better looking fones 'as standard' - with maybe firmware updates for other fones. the PEBL fone which not only looks great but is innovative in operation and design would be the ideal fone. if no-one has yet seen it - the motion for opening it is like a cross between a slide / flip phone - this is the type of phone jobs / ive et al would fall in love with...

right now all this is is just a pretty front to handling mp3's... made to look like itunes - and thats all it is unless you can have enough memory for playlists, itms etc - also - will the fone update playlists as an ipod will when you 'rate' tracks etc?

i think the 'real' apple input has been in getting the tech into the new phones - making sure that theres no intereference on the headfone jack from the phone (as there are on phones with standard jacks) - so that sound quality is king...

at the end of the day - i've already got a phone that plays mp3's - so unless these new fones do something remarkable (more than just syncing with itunes on my comp) - then its going to be a stuttering start for something that could have promised so much... i'm due for an upgrade in a few months - and so far the best fone i want is the updated SE's - as the camera quality is fantastic - and its a given that the interface on SE's is brilliant too.

HomunQlus said:
I got a Motorola V220. It's not a super-mega-fancy phone. Alright, it has a camera in it and polyphonic ringtones. The polyphnic is already too much for me, and I wouldn't need the camera neither.

If I buy a phone, it should be able to, well, be able to make phone calls. Yeah. That's it. That's for me the sole reason of a mobile phone. I don't need an MP3 player. I don't need iTunes on my phone. For that I got a 20 Gig MP3 player, and I got a digi cam, which takes pics at better quality than a phone, well and for the rest, I got my laptop if I'm on the road.

To integrate all these things into a phone is nice, and it's somewhat cool, but useless.
Agreed, I just see no point in it, it seems like features just to attract rather than a function based on need. Perhaps I'm becoming a Luddite as I get older but I'd find a tin opener, or nail clippers on a phone far more useful.

fjdouse said:
Not wanting to be a troll but I find it totally uninspiring, am I the only one who just wants a phone to be a phone? (To me the rest seems like junk to make people keep buying and producing yet more waste.)
Amen to that.

I completely agree with the people who say that a phone should just be a phone, but it's easier to carry around one phone than it is to carry a phone, an MP3 player and a camera for example. I'm one of those minimalist people who prefer multi-function devices to lots of individual ones.

Back