mounting a solaris nfs exported / shared mount point from os x client

baldwinsung

Registered
Has anybody had any experience with mounting a solaris nfs exported / shared mount point from a mac os x client?

I keep running into a permission problem. However, the solaris box is allowing the mount point for everybody with anon=0.

Strange...

Oh yeah, the nfs://server doesn't work from the finder either.

Try something like this:
mount -o -P 192.168.1.100:/home mountpoint

the -P is needed for mount to use a portnumber lower than 1024 (i think). OS X normally uses higher ports, but I don't think Solaris likes that.

If you have admin access to the solaris box you could try to start mountd with: "mountd -r -n".
Then it allows "insecure" port numbers and you don't have to use the "-P" option when mounting and you don't have to "sudo" or be root when mounting.
And perhaps the most important reason, you can make aliases in the finder to files on the nfs mount. User aliases allways access the nfs mount via "insecure" ports so an alias seems to hang on the mount forever if you don't tweek the "mountd" command on the solaris (or FreeBSD in my case) server.

I too am having trouble with NFS on OS X. I can mount my FreeBSD's nfs exports on linux without trouble. But on osx, its a no-go.

I've tried using apple's recommended finder nfs:// trick. All that does is create an entry in /Volumes (and in mount) which neither myself or root can dismount - restart is required.

I tried the trick you told, gumse, and it doesn't work - I get this error:
nfs: bad MNT RPC: RPC: Timed out
and it repeats.

also, the command:
mount 192.168.1.144:/usr/home/liggett /Volumes/test
returns the same error.
Any ideas? You seem to know plenty about this :)

btw, here's my /etc/exports file on FreeBSD 4.5:
/usr/home/liggett -ro

thanks!

Back