Mounting AppleShare Volumes in OS X

jxself

Registered
I have the final shippign version of OS X. I realize that AppleTalk wasn't working in the Public Beta, but shouldn't it now?

If I try to mount a volume using AppleTalk (by visiting Go -> Connect To Server -> Local Network in OS X), nothing ever appears.

I can, of course, connect to the machine in 9.1 over AppleTalk, and can connect from either OS 9.1 or X if I use TCP/IP.

I suppose that I'm just looking for confirmation? Does AppleTalk function? It'a already been turned on in System Preferences -> Network -> AppleTalk.

I've even restarted for good measure.

I have the same exact problem and it's killing me. I can see the server when I connect to appletalk in the network prefs. But nothing in connect to server.
I hope they sort this out.

It seems that Apple is dropping the classic Appletalk in favour of Appletalk-over-TCP. I have noticed that I can only connect to servers which have Appletalk-over-TCP enabled (9.0.4 machine and BSD Netatalk).

Looking through the help files on this I found the statement "You cannot connect to servers using Appletalk"

This is a good move in my view, classic Appletalk is extremly chatty on a network. And as Apple ditched the old tech (such as ADB, serial, floppy disk, etc) it seems logical that they would move ahead in networking.

Also, since OS X is BSD based, the networking is sockets based, so this system is the best way to go.

It will be a pain making OS X work with classic networks, but no pain no gain. And this will only be temporary.

Hurray for standards...

Originally posted by BatGuano2000
It seems that Apple is dropping the classic Appletalk in favour of Appletalk-over-TCP. I have noticed that I can only connect to servers which have Appletalk-over-TCP enabled (9.0.4 machine and BSD Netatalk).

Looking through the help files on this I found the statement "You cannot connect to servers using Appletalk"

This is a good move in my view, classic Appletalk is extremly chatty on a network. And as Apple ditched the old tech (such as ADB, serial, floppy disk, etc) it seems logical that they would move ahead in networking.

Also, since OS X is BSD based, the networking is sockets based, so this system is the best way to go.

It will be a pain making OS X work with classic networks, but no pain no gain. And this will only be temporary.

Hurray for standards...

This is NOT a good thing in many cases I believe. Despite its faults, AppleShare does not require that you have a seperate IP for each machine! This is the biggest problem with such an arrangement. Sure, you can assign local IPs, but if you have for example 2 globally accessible IPs:

If one of those addresses is acting as a firewall, with several other machines using their own network behind it, and the other is a standalone computer, that standalone computer cannot access the machines behind the firewall even if they are on the same local network, because that standalone machine is not on the internal network, behind the firewall. All of this is not an issue if the machines are connected via traditional AppleShare. It pisses me off that I have to find some kind of solution for this; I dont' want to be behind the firewall.

Back