Registered
My rig:
G4 400 (AGP Graphics)
1.1gb RAM, two internal 57gb drives
OS 10.3.3

PowerBook G4 867
640mb, 60gb, superdrive
OS 10.3.3

I have purchased an 80gb Maxtor HD and an external FireWire enclosure for it; a Prolific PL3507 Combo Device, to be specific. I bought the drive to record audio with the PowerBook.

The problem:
On my Tower, the drive icon will not appear on the Desktop nor any window sidebar. It appears and is accessible from /Volumes. Disk Utility recognises it and claims that it is mounted. I even get the improper "device removal" error when I pull the plug on the drive. All signs suggest the drive is mounted.

Curiously, this is not an issue with my PowerBook. I plug in the drive, it appears on the Desktop.

I seem to recall having a similar problem on my desktop with a USB keydrive. I've since lost the keydrive (they're too small anyway::ha::) and can no longer test that claim.

While "Go to folder: /Volumes" is a viable workaround, it would be just lovely to see that pretty firewire icon on my desktop.

Any insight?

-Dan

note: At someone else's suggestion, I tried dragging the drive icon from /Volumes to the sidebar. It disappeared in a puff of smoke.

Hmm... try repairing your permissions and deleting your Finder preferences (located at Users > [your user name] > Library > Preferences > com.apple.finder.plist). Then report back here.

Back