Mounting Network (Samba) Volumes

futureal

Registered
Hi all,

We have about 12 Macs in our office here that need to have persistent access to a series of Samba shares on our linux-based file server. We have samba running on the server, and I can access it from the Macs (all running 10.3.7) but I having an odd bit of trouble.

Suppose I have created a folder /MountPoint. From the console I enter a command:

# /sbin/mount_smbfs -T 10 //username:password@server/share /MountPoint

This mounts the Samba share to the Mac. However, when I take a look at the folder in Finder, it immediately vanishes!

If I cd /MountPoint in the console, I can see and interact with the files, so I *know* it is connected--I just can't access it through the GUI.

What might I be doing wrong? Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated!

quiksan said:
well the :p could be part of the problem. ;)

I don't know if this would help, but check out smb Manager
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/16618

This isn't Samba specific behavior. I get the same exact result
when trying mount a NFS mount point.

I found that if you do an 'open' on the /MountPoint (from the
example above), a server icon is mounted on the desktop with
the same name as the /MountPoint. It gets even stranger when
you want to dismount the mount point. You can't use a cmd-e
to eject it, you must use an umount; then you MUST drag it to
the Trash! The icon on the desktop then dissappears, and the
/MountPoint floder reappears! If you double-click the server
icon after the umount, the mount point re-mounts!?!

What gives? This use to work in 10.2. I using 10.3.8.

I am having the same problem. Had 10.2 on a Powerbook G3 and I always had to go to GO then CONNECT TO SERVER to get to a shared drive that was a winXP share (NTFS). I could connect - but just always had to do that.

Now that I got my new powerbook - G4 with 10.3 I can't even Connect to it using go. Per someone's advice I made a folder called Shared and then used the "mount_smbfs" Unix command. As soon as I did that the folder I created dissapeared. Although - I can cd /Shared and go to it via the command line.

HELP!

When I try to browse the network - on my G3 it just asks to authenticate to access the share - on my new powerbook (10.3) it says:

"The Alias COMPUTERNAME could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found."

I am relatively new to mac's but I do know some stuff - but I'm lost on this one. It works fine on the other version of OS X.

And there is no firewall software turned on -
No IP conflicts -
All IPs are assigned under the same subnet -
and I can infinitely ping the XP machine even on the Mac that I can't get the damn drive to connect to.

Back