Mounting Remote Volumes, timeout problem!!!

pwharff

Registered
I have searched everywhere for a solution to my problem and have not found a single clue!

Actually I'm not having problems mounting remote volumes, but after a while on inactivity my remote mounted volumes disconnects.

Is there any way to mount a remote volume and keep it mounted forever!?!?

I have mounted NFS volumes on our Linux servers and they STAY mounted!!! Since Mac OS X is a *nix OS, why doesn't it behave like one when it comes to mounted volumes?

Someone please help me or point me in the right direction. For now I will keep searching. :)

Originally posted by pwharff
I have searched everywhere for a solution to my problem and have not found a single clue!

Actually I'm not having problems mounting remote volumes, but after a while on inactivity my remote mounted volumes disconnects.

Is there any way to mount a remote volume and keep it mounted forever!?!?

I have mounted NFS volumes on our Linux servers and they STAY mounted!!! Since Mac OS X is a *nix OS, why doesn't it behave like one when it comes to mounted volumes?

Someone please help me or point me in the right direction. For now I will keep searching. :)

I believe this is a setting on the server - to disconnect people after a period of inactivity. The reason I say this is that if you run an AppleShare server, you can set it to disconnect people. Could that be the issue?

I am not running an AppleShare server that I know of. I just am running a G4 Tower and G4 iMac both running OS X 10.1.2.

I'm sure there has to be some preference file somewhere that can be changed or hacked to change the time when a remote mounted volume disconnects?

I figured out how to keep AFP Volumes mounted always!!! It's actually quite simple.

Here's how to make the change:

Just go to your NetInfo Manager and click the lock button to unlock to make changes. Then under "Directory Browser" click on "config" in the second column, then click on "AppleFileServer". Below you will find a "Property" and "Value(s)" columns. Go to the "idle_disconnect_flag" property and you will see that it has a value like this:

GuestUsrDisconnect_ON ,RegtdUsrDisconnect_ON ,AdminUsrDisconnect_ON ,OpenFileDisconnect_ON

Notice how each flag has an "ON" at the end of it. You can change this to either "ON" or "OFF". I made mine so that if you are an admin on the machine your trying to mount, that it would keep the volume mounted ALWAYS by changing this value: "AdminUsrDisconnect_ON" to this "AdminUsrDisconnect_OFF". My iMac now has kept my G4's hard disk mounted for over 5 hours without disconnecting and life is wonderful.

IMPORTANT! First, for this work properly you must make this change on the Mac that you are trying to mount, not the client. Second, you must save your changes in NetInfo Manager and Restart/Log Off your computer.

I am having the same exact problem connecting to OS 9 machine. Disconnects consistently at about 5 minutes. Since there is no NetInfo Mgr on OS 9 machine... whats another solution?

Back