Mounting SMB shares, can't seem to get it to work

Fahrvergnuugen

I am the law!
Has anyone else out there tried to mount an SMB share using Panther? I can't seem to get it to work, though I can mount Panther from an XP machine when turning windows file sharing on in sys prefs.

I tried a bunch of different shares, none would connect. AFP shares seem to work great :).

I also ran into this problem but if you type in the full path (think pre jaguar) it works fine. I've been using it to connect to the PC networked drives at work.

Just add it to your favorites and you should be all set. As for going from PC to Panther I haven't found a way to do that but then again I always had trouble with that even with Jaguar.

torres: i tried this... I used:

smb://server/share/

which is the direct path to the share. Do you also have to include the authentication info in the address somehow? [if so, what is the syntax?]

that's exactly what I did.

I typed in this:
smb://torres/my music

the authentication window popped up and I entered in my info. The only thing that didn't work was like in jaguar I could never get the preference to stick for saving my password to the keychain for PC drives.

I was going to say maybe it only works with XP but I'm pretty sure I also got it to work with a machine running Win2k.

I only other suggestion I have is to make sure the name of your share is not too long or doesn't use any weird characters. Try connection to a drive with a very safe name if you haven't already.

I think I know why I was able to connect to network connected PC drives at work and you are having trouble doing so. I brought brought my PC home from work and tried connecting to it from my laptop, same as I do at work. This time however no such luck.

I have a feeling that it might have something to do with the fact that at work all the computers are on a domain and we have a domain controller were-as at home I only have a workgroup.

Of course this is just a guess but considering I used the two same machines and the only thing that was different was the location I would have to assume this is it.

I also tried connecting to my work PC with another Mac running jaguar and that worked fine.

Now if you happen to have a domain controller then I wouldn't know what to say.

Back