Mounting Unix Filesystem on OSX

MArends

Registered
Can anyone tell me the correct syntax to mount a Unix exported file system, just like you use SMB:/Network;Server/Share on Windows servers?

Something like perhaps NFS:/Servername;Exported filesystem?

I've tried some combination....

Greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike

Search versiontracker for NFSManager. That should do what you want. to the best of my knowledge there is no way to nfs mount filesystems from the "Connect to Server..." dialog.

Hope this helps...
-alex.

As a matter of fact, NFS exports can be mounted via Connect to server.... For a machine called nfsserver which exports /export/home, simply use
Code:
nfs://nfsserver/export/home

and you should see a network mount in Finder and on the Desktop. Unfortunately, it seems to name it after the server. So if you mount more than one, it appears to append -#, ie, nfsserver-1, nfsserver-2, etc.

Originally posted by blb
As a matter of fact, NFS exports can be mounted via Connect to server.... For a machine called nfsserver which exports /export/home, simply use
Code:
nfs://nfsserver/export/home

and you should see a network mount in Finder and on the Desktop. Unfortunately, it seems to name it after the server. So if you mount more than one, it appears to append -#, ie, nfsserver-1, nfsserver-2, etc.

I was close but not close enough. Thank you very much for your information.

Cheers,

Mike Arends.

The finder can't mount my FreeBSD or Linux nfs exports because they are served below port 1024.

To get arround this, there is a mount command. Here 's the syntax, I think:
Code:
mount -o "-P" 192.168.0.1:/usr/export /Network/Servers

I'll post later today if that doesn't work.. its from memory :)

Originally posted by kilowatt
The finder can't mount my FreeBSD or Linux nfs exports because they are served below port 1024.

To get arround this, there is a mount command. Here 's the syntax, I think:
Code:
mount -o "-P" 192.168.0.1:/usr/export /Network/Servers

I'll post later today if that doesn't work.. its from memory :)

No problem mounting Linux RH 7.2 exported filesystems from within the Finder using 'Go' as described above.

Cheers.

kilowatt's right that some OS's won't let the nfs:// method work (the BSD's are one), and Linux may depend on your particular distribution.

One correction, though, is if you need to use the -P switch, be sure to use sudo with the mount command, as -P tells mount to use a reserved port, which only root can do.

BTW,

Anyone who gets NFS working with a read-write file system needs to post a HOW TO!!!

I can only get read-only working.

thanks!

Back