Mouse Issue. Please Help

twister

Howdy
Well my mom says that her mouse is acting up. She has an iMac running 9 that is not even a year old yet and i dont know what to do. She says it works fine for about a half hour then the mouse wont click on anything or highlight anything. It just moves and nothing else. She restarts and it works fine for another 1/2 hour or so. Is it the mouse's problem? The computer? She lives 2 hours away so i havent gone to check it out myself yet but does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Twister

Buy her a cheap mouse replacement...

Buy it online, ship it to her, and send a card that says "Happy Mothers Day"...

this doesn't sound like a dirty mouse but it's not a bad idea to start there. next, have her try removing the mouse control panel and restarting. i am 90% sure that this is one of those that regnerates itself when missing. If the old one was corrupt this should solve the problem. you can always boot from disc to move it back if any new problems occur.

running a good disk repair and optimization combo would be a good thing as well. could be a little sign of something bigger.

other than posting to a more appropriate forum next time, that's all i can think of right now.;)

If this is the mouse that comes with the iMac, and the machine is still under warranty, call Apple. I've had a keyboard die, and they had me a new one in 24 hours. Tech support had me run through some stupid procedures to prove that it was dead, but once it was established that the keyboard went, they were very accomodating.

it's more likely the computer is crashing and she doesn't know it. Have her see if the caps-lock key lights up when the mouse does this - if it doesn't, she's crashed and has another problem.

Originally posted by serpicolugnut
If this is the mouse that comes with the iMac, and the machine is still under warranty, call Apple. I've had a keyboard die, and they had me a new one in 24 hours. Tech support had me run through some stupid procedures to prove that it was dead, but once it was established that the keyboard went, they were very accomodating.

What number did you call and did it cost you anything?

Twister

Back