~?~?~?~?~?~?.mov To A Dv Stream Format ~?~?~?~?~?~?

ERICBRIAN2002

Registered
I HAVE A BUNCH OF MPG MOVIES I TOKE WITH MY WEB CAM BUT WHEN I WANDTED TO MAKE A MOVIE WITH ALL OF THEM IN IMOVIE I CANT CAUSE IT IS NOT A TYPE OF FORMAT IT SUPPORTS SO I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT HOW I CAN CONVERT IT INTO DV STREAM OR ALL THE OTHER STREAMS THAT WOULD WORK. I want to convert them using regular apps i dont want to buy a software just to do it.

i put the question mark because i didnt know what to do and becaue it was a question and i used the ~ and the space between them cause if i just put ? ? ? ? ? ? ? it would look wierd i just anted to be creative if u didnt like it dont write something and keep it to ur self i guess if you wrote in it it did catch ur attension and instead of giving some advice on the subject your just writing about this dumb thing. if you have something on the topic for me then say it if you dont then dont write nothing.

You need to have QuickTime Pro. But what you do is open up the *.mov and use File > Export... and you can choose to export it as a DV stream, which iMovie can then import.

*QuickTime Pro costs like $20 or something, but it's well worth it if you plan on doing stuff with iMovie, IMO.

Thanks. I will see if i buy it. Do you know of any other software that could do this. if not do you know were i can check like a web site were they may have one. i have tried versiontracker but nothing. if i were to but quicktime pro how lonk would a 4 min video take to export to dv stream.??

Depends on your system, of course. The altivec engine of G4s makes it faster, that's for sure. Anyway, exporting to DV stream takes LONG, sometimes even longer than encoding into MPEG 2 or similar "complicated" codecs. I really can't give you a number, but I'd say between 1:2 and 1:10, so 8 to 40 minutes, then again this greatly depends on resolution, quality, with sound or without etc.

En- or Decoding depends on dozens of variables, so one can never say "it will take so and so long"...

Exporting to DV stream in my Quicksilver is kinda fast, I'd say 1:2, but I wouldn't rate my system a "standard" system anyway...

I am a huge lurker. Typically I can find my answers just from doing a keyword search, but I am very interested to know if anyone has had the opportunity to use quicktime pro to convert/export mpg2 files to dv or .mov?

I use the ADS USBInstant DVD... great for converting analog to mpg2, but then I can't use any of the iLife Suite to edit video. Unfortunately I don't have a built in superdrive, so I have to use my Boa External Firewire and Pixela software... good but not iDVD. I know I am going from mpg to dv back to mpg, but unless anyone has any other suggestions, this is the cost of not having an internal superdrive and wanting to use iMovie. Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Wow... this was an interesting read, I must say.

Here's a tip for you, along the lines of Twyg's "lecture:" don't resurrect old, buried threads. In general, most of the people who posted to it are gone anyway, and you can get away with asking the question in your own thread.

Anyway, I did some searching and I found this... it may do what you want.

Arden said:
Wow... this was an interesting read, I must say.

Here's a tip for you, along the lines of Twyg's "lecture:" don't resurrect old, buried threads. In general, most of the people who posted to it are gone anyway, and you can get away with asking the question in your own thread.

Anyway, I did some searching and I found this... it may do what you want.

Thanks for the info... unfortunately in order to show my appreciation I had to violate your tip on posting to old threads, but I wanted to make sure you got the message. I looked over the link and it appears to be what I need. Thanks again. Happy Holidays :)

Back