Movement freezes my iBook G4

sofaman

Registered
My mid-2005 iBook G4 has just had its logic board replaced under AppleCare. Since getting it home, it's developed an annoying glitch - every time the laptop moves while active, the whole machine freezes up. You can only move it with no problems if it is put to sleep first. It will work fine on a table indefinitely.

Obviously, this is a difficult thing with a laptop, as it means you can't actually use it on your lap, as with even relatively minor motion it will freeze and require a hard reboot. It's still under AppleCare, so I can always take it back and get it looked at again, but I'd rather see if there's something simple I can do without having to be without it for a fortnight or more. Any thoughts?

Run, don't walk back to where the repair was facilitated and, in their presence, duplicate the issue... this appears to be directly related to your recent repair.

I took the laptop back in to the service centre, as you wisely advised.

The freezing issue had become progressively worse, and it turned out it was a hard disk failure. The drive was an 80Gb drive, so I assume it was one of the bad batch of Toshibas that there had been known issues with. It's being replaced under AppleCare as we speak, and all my data is backed up, so no bother there. There were no noise issues with the drive; none of the grinding or clicking sounds often associated with the failure of such drives. It died an apparently silent death.

It's probably reasonable to say that the earlier repair didn't cause the problem but revealed it. The logic board failed, which masked the imminent failure of the hard disk. Fixing one revealed the other, so they were certainly related, as you said. I do wonder what could have caused those two components to fail so close together, or if it was just coincidence?

Back