Movin Documents and Applications to other locations

paxson

Registered
I would like to move my Users and my Applications Folder to an other partition. Does anybody knows it. I tried to copy the folders an made
links to the new folders, but it doesn't work. I think, there must be a system file edit.

Originally posted by testuser
This last bit is my own opinion: making partitions is worthless. I can only think of two exceptions: you want to make a small 200 Mb partition for an emergency OS 9 boot disk, or a large multi-GB partition to store Digial Video files. For the majority of people (myself included) it is best just to use one partition. Why?
* You don't run into problems like this with shuffling partitions to avoid running out of space.
* It is possible to get the same level of organization by using folders, as it is making partitions
* An emergency partition is not really necessary because: all Macs that run OS X can boot from CDs (OS 9, OS X, Diskwarrior, etc) and be repaired, and the Mac OS 9 CD allows you to connect by ethernet to other volumes for backup
* There are no major speed, performance, or other benefits to partitions (other than having a completely clean partition for importing DV, as I had mentioned previously)
Others will disagree...

I can think of a couple very good reasons to have partitions.

1. To separate OS 9 from OS X. With a single partition OS X is a pain to uninstall.
2. Convenience. This is a big one. Easy backup, easy searching, etc.
3. Separation of multiple OSs including some version of Linux, along with several installs of 9 and X for different purposes. For example, I have my X partition, my main 9 partition, whose system folder is customized to the max, and my bare-bones 9 partition, used for Classic. I've noticed that Classic tends to eventually corrupt the install of 9 it uses; my setup prevents major headaches.

hi paxson,

i tried to move the user folder to another directory and it really worked, BUT there are funny things going on after you do so. if you move the complete user folder to another partition and you make a link to it, e.g. the user management is not able to create new users. i gave it ALL permissions and it still didn't work. some other programs have to have the same problems.

even though i totally agree with all the pros creating partitions, i will never do it again, because now i am screwed. i can't reformat my 80gig drive, because i have no space to move it to.

apple really screwed up big time. give us a fix or tool!!!

thnx for the great tip, but i still have to warn people from partitioning their harddisk, even though i would always do it on other platforms, especially on unix ones.

i created a couple of partitions, because i wanted to install different macos versions and still using the same programs (on a different partition). because of that, i created a 4GB root partition for my mac os x. i recently wanted to burn a DVD and found that i couldn't because there is not enough space on the root partition for the virtual dvdpartition "/dev/dvdname". and because the name is different everytime, you can't really do the trick with the fstab. i think a softlink might be a bad idea, too, because of my experience with those.

Back