Moving Applications in Panther...

vikingshelmut

100% Bull Plop
In OS 9, when you ran software update, or an installer, the installer would find the Apps location and update it. In earlier build of X, if you moved an app from its original location and tried to update it, the installer would only look in /Applications and install the update files there. So if you moved iTunes, and ran software update, you would end up with a folder in /Apps called iTunes containing the updated files.

I guess the question is, does panther finally support dynamic paths? Or are they still static? I want to organize my applications folder into sub folders, but don't want to break the update process.

Does anybody know if this will work now?

I don't know if panther supports dynamic paths, but if your idea is to create your own order for files and folders, why don't you work with alias and leave the application folder the way it is? You could set up an "Apps" folder and make an alias for any prog and organize them the way you want without having any probs with software updates. Maybe not that elegant, but at least an idea...

Yes setting up an alias folder would make my life more simple. I am still curious if dynamic paths are supported.
Anybody else know if this works?

Well, you may be able to check this yourself. Look for the last app you used SU to update, or really any program. Then go to the receipts Folder here;
library>Receipts

Remove the package that was that last update, just leave it on the desktop. Now go to Software Update and run it and you should have that update available again.

Of course, you'll want to move the app that you want to update, to a different location to check this out.

Back