Moving from Mac to iPad

Whitehill

Registered
I am beginning the inevitable (to me) transition from Mac to iPad. I have been retired for several years and, although I did some consulting, I do not anticipate that continuing. So, why do I need my aging iMac? The list of reasons is short.
  • I have used Banktivity (formerly iBank) for personal finances. IGG’s iPad app can access the data in the cloud, but it has serious (to me) deficiencies: nothing but trivial reports and, the kicker, no reconciliation of monthly account statements. I am experimenting with MoneyWiz3 on iPad, the only app I have found that does those things AND can import from QIF files.
  • I run a PLEX server and have built up a nice (to me) video library, on an external disk, which can be accessed on iPad and AppleTV. I have not (yet) really searched for a way to keep this going in a non-Mac world. Any suggestions? Especially any that are not very expensive.
There are likely more items that I haven’t thought of. So, dear readers, have you contemplated this transition? Have to found solutions to my problems? Have you encountered other problems and maybe even solved them?

Cheryl: Is this the right place for this discussion?

Instead of an iPad, why not a real Mac--such as a MacBook.

There should be no problem accessing your video library, although you may need an adaptor.
Banking has come a long way--cannot your bank's app/website provide you all you need?

This seems like a good place for discussion.

Are you comfortable working with the smaller screen of the iPad verses the iMac? What you want/need to access works well on an iMac, why search high and low for something that sort of works on another device? Keep in mind that banking apps are limited in what you can access on mobile devices. The apps allow for the basic transactions rather than in-depth.

The end result should be something you can access comfortably and quickly without going through many steps of different apps.

Instead of an iPad, why not a real Mac--such as a MacBook.

There should be no problem accessing your video library, although you may need an adaptor.
Banking has come a long way--cannot your bank's app/website provide you all you need?
I’m looking to downsize and downprice. A beefy MacBook costs almost as much as an iMac.

If there’s no (i)Mac on which to run a PLEX server, how will an adapter help?

My bank’s website provides access to transactions and statements, but no help with reconciliations. And a history of about 2 years. Is it primitive? Beats me. I have used the same bank for 35 years and can’t change now.

Are you comfortable working with the smaller screen of the iPad verses the iMac? What you want/need to access works well on an iMac, why search high and low for something that sort of works on another device? Keep in mind that banking apps are limited in what you can access on mobile devices. The apps allow for the basic transactions rather than in-depth.

The end result should be something you can access comfortably and quickly without going through many steps of different apps.
The short answer is YES. I spend much more time on the iPad than the iMac. I agree about the banking apps. That’s why I have pretty much zeroed in on MoneyWiz3.

The end result I’m aiming at is a new iPad with a larger screen size, a decent banking app, and PLEX running something hanging off it. Perhaps a Raspberry Pi with Docker.

I’m looking to downsize and downprice. A beefy MacBook costs almost as much as an iMac.

If there’s no (i)Mac on which to run a PLEX server, how will an adapter help?

My bank’s website provides access to transactions and statements, but no help with reconciliations. And a history of about 2 years. Is it primitive? Beats me. I have used the same bank for 35 years and can’t change now.

FWIW:
MacBook Airs are up to $500 off right now, grab them while you can
Holiday MacBook Air deals are hitting a fever pitch, with current and closeout models now up to $500 off while supplies last. Grab the lowest prices at B&H and Amazon with delivery by Christmas for a limited time only.

FWIW:
MacBook Airs are up to $500 off right now, grab them while you can
Holiday MacBook Air deals are hitting a fever pitch, with current and closeout models now up to $500 off while supplies last. Grab the lowest prices at B&H and Amazon with delivery by Christmas for a limited time only.
It seems I never mentioned that I have an iPad Pro 1st gen and want to stay with the Pro line.

Back