moving home directory to external drive

ChromePlanet

Registered
Everywhere I looked on the net explained that moving your OSX home directory to an external drive is simply done by going into Netinfo Manager, finding your username, and changing the "home" property to point to wherever you copied your home directory to (the copy can only be done when you're logged in under another Administrator account).

I did this and things seem to work OK, except there are some files I only see when I click on my username in the Finder's left section shortcut panel. If I browse in the Finder to the actual external drive where those files are supposed to see I can't see them. I can copy the files from one to the other, and it appears a copy is actually taking place, but I have a feeling I just created a duplication.

I'm not sure if this is a permissions problem or what, but I'd like to resolve it as I'm selling this Mac and want to be sure all my files are actually on the external drive so that when I get a new Mac, I can tell Netinfo Manager to use the existing home directory on the external drive from the old Mac. Or will that not work?

Back